Priming Sugar Prepared 2 Weeks Early!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPBrews

Reaction score
So I brewed my first batch a couple of weeks ago (extract kit). I discovered just last night on brew day, my wife, who was following along and helping me, had skipped ahead in the brew instructions, and prepped the priming sugar by boiling it in the prescribed amount of water. She was "helping." :)

Needless to say, that was done 2 weeks early.

She realized her mistake, poured it into a mason jar and threw it in the fridge, hoping it could still be used.

Should I toss it and start over with fresh priming sugar, or do you think it will be ok if I boil it again on bottling day?

So I brewed my first batch a couple of weeks ago (extract kit). I discovered just last night on brew day, my wife, who was following along and helping me, had skipped ahead in the brew instructions, and prepped the priming sugar by boiling it in the prescribed amount of water. She was "helping." :)

Needless to say, that was done 2 weeks early.

She realized her mistake, poured it into a mason jar and threw it in the fridge, hoping it could still be used.

Should I toss it and start over with fresh priming sugar, or do you think it will be ok if I boil it again on bottling day?

If there is nothing growing in it, it should be fine, but if you don't want to take the very minimal risk, you could chuck it and prepare fresh. Really though, if there is a microscopic amount of some bug slowly growing in the sugar water (meaning you can't see mold on top), simply re-boiling the solution will effectively sterilize it for you anyway.

Yeah, I figure add some fresh RO water on top and boil it for 15 minutes and I can't imagine anything worrisome would survive, right? It's been in the fridge for 2 weeks, so it shouldn't be TOO bad, even if it is an ideal growth substrate for bacteria (cold temp aside).

Thanks!

Unless it looks nasty when you get ready to use it, just boil it for a few minutes. It won't take 15 minutes to kill anything bad that can be in there.

Latest posts

Back