Priming sugar for kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can I use any old sugar for priming my beer (i.e. garden variety household sugar) or should I really be using corn sugar? What difference does it make?

Cheers

PF

I use table sugar if I don't have any corn sugar. The only difference that I notice is that the table sugar takes longer to carbonate.

-a.

Thanks for the replies. I used a "Youngs" beer and wine sugar for my most recent batch; previous ones have been with table sugar. Wait and see!!

I've no personal experience using table sugar to prime, but I have been told that it can give the beer a 'cidery' note.

Yeast Infection said:
are you priming and then kegging??????

edit: are you priming and then using CO2 with your keg ?

This is what I do when I don't have space in the kegerator right away. Prime it to carb, then just set it to serving pressure when you hook it up to the tank.

I'm priming at the point of transferring the primary fermentation to a keg. I left the keg at room temperature for 7 days then transferred to my cellar to condition. I'm using a King Keg Top Tap which I think is leaky because after the 7 days at room temperature there was no carbonation (this is the first batch that I've primed using brewing sugar).

I'm new to all of this but I've brewed 4 batches prior to this one from Beer Kits (Woodfordes Wherry - 2 batches; Brupaks IPA - 1 batch; Youngs Bitter - 1 batch). 3 batches were primed and conditioned in the King Keg using table sugar and one batch primed and conditioned in glass bottles using table sugar. The only batch that's worked/carbonated is a Woodfordes Wherry Bitter transferred to bottles. It tastes good, even using table sugar. However, I haven't had any carbonation with the barrel which is frustrating as hell. I've tried sealing all possible leaky points with petrolium jelly.

I think I'll be returning my King Keg barrel to the manufacturer unless anyone can offer some sensible advice?!

Back