priming sugar concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pineknot

Reaction score
I bottled a chocolate stout using priming sugar tonight. I made the mistake of boiling my priming sugar for about 2 - 3 minutes instead of the recommended 5 mins. Will this have a huge affect on my finished beer or will it be a subtle under carbonation? I'm pretty worried!

pineknot said:
I bottled a chocolate stout using priming sugar tonight. I made the mistake of boiling my priming sugar for about 2 - 3 minutes instead of the recommended 5 mins. Will this have a huge affect on my finished beer or will it be a subtle under carbonation? I'm pretty worried!

The good news: you don't have to worry about the carbonation level. If you used the right amount of sugar the length of time you boil doesn't matter.

The bad news...well...there is always the risk of an infection. You just increased the risk is all.

Best not to worry.

-Your tap water is probably clean
-Dry sugar isn't much of a bug-haven
-You start killing ~160 degrees, so you were in kill zone longer than 2-3 mins
-If a bug can survive 2-3 mins of boiling, it's one heck of a bug
-Your beer has alcohol...hostile bug environment

Bottom line, 99% sure you'll be just fine.

Don't worry. If it is stored at room temp for long term then who knows. All else is probably not an issue.

Haha...you're in good company. It happens.

I've come to learn that the only reason to lose sleep over brewing is anticipation/excitement...not fear/worry.

I just normally take it up to a boil and turn the flame off and let it cool a bit while I'm continuing the rest of my bottling process. It stays near boiling for a few minutes whether the stoves on or not.

But please don't ever lose sleep over any aspect of this hobby there's a million ways to do things and usually they are all correct, and it is really hard to screw things up. Beer has been brewed for thousands of years, without the internet, without instruction books, with rudementry sanitization if any, and with little understanding of the process, and even understanding things like that yeast fermented beer, and STILL it managed to survive, and it manage to be tasty enough to have survived culturally, and not gone the way of pepsi clear.....it's really hard to screw this up.

Back