Priming Solution..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squid2015

Reaction score
Per How to Brew: Boil 4 oz of corn sugar in 2 cups of water. I planning to have 3.2 vol carb in a saison (using belgium bottles) which equates to around 5.8 oz of corn sugar. Do I still use 2 cups of water? Or how to determine how much water is used to make priming solution?

OG - 1.047 FG - 1.000 (wyeast 3711)

The amount of water is not that important. The water is just to dissolve the corn sugar. What's important is the amount of sugar you add to your batch of beer.

If you have 4 ounces of sugar in two cups of water, or 6 ounces in two cups, your desired amount of sugar is still going to get mixed properly with your batch of beer, which is what determines your carbonation level.

You will be fine with 2c. That is my usual minimum but is enough water to dissolve 6oz of sugar.

On a smaller batch the amount of water can factor in but it is usually minimal. On the other side you can brew a 6 gal kit as a 5g and use a full gallon with priming sugar to prime the batch to 6g packaged

If you use a priming calculator your volume numbers should be total beer into bottling bucket plus sugar water.

Someone will do the math And tell me where I'm wrong but if you keep the water small it will have little impact.

The amount of water is not that important. The water is just to dissolve the corn sugar. What's important is the amount of sugar you add to your batch of beer.

If you have 4 ounces of sugar in two cups of water, or 6 ounces in two cups, your desired amount of sugar is still going to get mixed properly with your batch of beer, which is what determines your carbonation level.

While this is very true on a typical batch size it does change exponentially on smaller batches.

If you were to brew a "6 pack" and ferment in a 1g growler adding a full pint of water with a 1/2Oz of sugar would diluted the beer quite a bit.

There are good rules of thumb but they mostly revolve around 5g batches, with bigger or smaller batches I like to use the online calculators.

Personally for my micro batches or what won't fit in the keg I like to use carb tabs.

While this is very true on a typical batch size it does change exponentially on smaller batches.

If you were to brew a "6 pack" and ferment in a 1g growler adding a full pint of water with a 1/2Oz of sugar would diluted the beer quite a bit.

There are good rules of thumb but they mostly revolve around 5g batches, with bigger or smaller batches I like to use the online calculators.

Personally for my micro batches or what won't fit in the keg I like to use carb tabs.

I agree with that. But with his scenario, keeping the water at 2 cups will be fine.

Back