Priming problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynxpilot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed, fermented, and lagered a Shiner Bock clone all-grain kit per recipe kit instructions. Bottled and primed using Buckrider Bottle Shots and used one tab per 12 oz bottle per instructions and bottle conditioned for 4 weeks per the instructions.

The beer tastes great, but it's flat. I'm getting a tiny little hiss when opening them, but no bubbles, no head, just flat. Bounced the tab weight of sugar off NB's calculator and it was relatively close.

Wondering what might have gone awry. The caps sealed fine. Didn't add anything that would kill the yeast.

I have 10 gallons of brown ale in the fermenter now and will bottle in a few days. I'd hate to end up with another flat batch, but since it's another style with another yeast, I'm reluctant to just up the priming sugar quantity. I suppose I could bulk prime, but not sure what difference that would make. Definitely don't want bottle bombs.

I'm very new to this and would greatly appreciate any input from someone who has experienced the same thing and found a workaround.

are you able to turn the caps on the closed, sealed bottles by hand?
are the bottle screw top?
at what temp did you condition for 4 week?
what was the fermentation schedule and temp like?

are you able to turn the caps on the closed, sealed bottles by hand?
are the bottle screw top?
at what temp did you condition for 4 week?
what was the fermentation schedule and temp like?
Can't turn the caps. Bottles are all pop top. Fermentation schedule instructions (which I followed to a tee) is pitch at 72-78F, slowly cool to 50-55F and hold for 10 days, warm up to 60-70F for 2 days, lager at 40F for 3-4 weeks, and bottle condition (room temp for me at about 74F) for 4 weeks.

Hm. SInce I don't lager I cannot speak to my suspicion of lagering removing too much yeast for bottling, altho i doubt it or homebrewing lagers would have died out eons ago. One of the higher up cerebral muckitymucks will have to chime in (I'm looking at you @Yooper @IslandLizard @day_trippr )

4 weeks at 74F should be plenty to bottle condition/carbonate, even a lagered beer. It's very difficult to remove all yeast, even when the beer is very clear, such as after lagering, there's usually enough yeast left suspended to carbonate.

I'm getting a tiny little hiss when opening them,
That's a good sign that the capping is tight, there's some pressure in the bottle. Maybe let them condition another 2-4 weeks and check periodically?
No, there's no need to add extra sugar, the amount of priming sugar added should be just enough.

Back