Priming in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

html034

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm brewing a Brown ale at the moment which I am almost ready to bottle. For this batch I had the brilliant idea to just ferment in my bottling bucket, thereby saving myself having to do a transfer for bottling. Because I am a myopic moron I failed to consider how I would add the priming solution, so my question is, is there any reason why I can't just toss it in the bucket before I bottle?

If you don't mind the 1/2 inch of sediment that will be on the bottom of your bottles then no, no reason at all :):)

Most folks like their beer clear, without yeast, trub and fallen krausen in it...You might be different, but most of us don't like chunks in ours ;)

The problem with bottling from a primary or secondary instead of using a bottling bucket, is that since you have patiently gone and let your beer settle and clear, in order to mix the priming solution and beer effectively, you would have to stir it in the carboy which would a) kick up all that nice sediment you have patiently let fall, b) possibly oxydize the beer.

It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

Go to a hardware store and get a translucent or white bucket...but look for one where the 5 gallon mark falls way below the top of the bucket. Usually it will say 5 gallons at 3rd band from the top. (oh get the lid too....I totally regret not getting it when I did.)

Then get a spigot and make a dedicated bottling bucket.

Mine is the translucent Leaktite brand 5 gallon container with the gallon and liter markings from Homedepot.

61GTWpzk9ML._SL500_AA280_.gif

Here's a pic of mine from my bottling thread.

bottling_wand.jpg

One of my dip tubes and what gets left behind.

dip2.jpg

You'll find a ton of good info here to make bottling easier.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

Some books will tell you to just add a teaspoon or so of sugar to each bottle to prime. Could be a solution if you want to bottle right away? Just beware of uneven carbonation and/or exploding bottles!:cross:

ooooh nice suggestion! Didnt even think of carb tablets!

Just be aware, carb tablets often take longer and leave more sediment in the bottom of bottles than bulk priming with priming solution and using a bottling bucket. And if you're using an already opened packet of tables and haven't sealed them properly to protect them, you run more of a risk of infection than if you boiled your sugar solution.

Latest posts

Back