Priming in Carboy?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewUSN

Reaction score
Hi all, I just bottled 12 (21oz) bottles out of my carboy, added sugar to the bottles and set them aside. I had roughly 3 gallons left in the 5 gallon carboy. I added a 1/2 cup of corn sugar to that, experimenting. Im probably a jacka$$ for doing that. Question is... Am I ok...? And also, can I use an airlock to prevent ovepressure in the carboy? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What exactly are your intentions? Putting sugar into the carboy will just give the yeast more to eat. The CO2 produced will vent, and in a week you will still have 3 gal of beer that needs priming and bottling. As far as replacing the airlock, you need to cover the top somehow, and an air lock is designed just for that. Don't attempt to plug the hole as pressure will build up and blow the plug or crack the glass (if glass). Even if you could plug the container, what purpose would it serve? You still need to open the top to finish bottling. And why split up the job? You need to bottle, or keg, or transfer, or add some fruit. Something productive. Make a plan.

If you primed the whole 5 gallons and only bottled 1/2, you need to air lock it and let it hit FG again, then reprime the rest and bottle it.

Yes, it would be helpful if you could clarify your intentions. If you don't plan to bottle the remaining 3 gallons immediately, what do you plan on doing with it? By adding the sugar you have gotten your yeast all riled up again, and you'd need to airlock the carboy, wait out the new fermentation activity, and let things settle before racking or bottling.

If you are trying to condition your beer right in the carboy, abort. They aren't built to handle that kind of pressure, and if you cap it you might have an explosion on your hands.

Also, it's generally not advisable to add the priming sugar directly into the fermenter. To mix it thoroughly, you'd have to stir your beer, thereby churning up all the yeast sediment that you've been patiently waiting to settle out.

Also, it's generally not advisable to add the priming sugar directly into the fermenter. To mix it thoroughly, you'd have to stir your beer, thereby churning up all the yeast sediment that you've been patiently waiting to settle out.

Agreed. Get a bottling bucket and prime in there, not the bottles. It makes the prime more uniform.

Thanks all for your responses. Ill just let it ferment and Ill prime it later as ChessKing stated. This is my first batch and I fumbled on not getting the right amount of bottles. Again, your responses are appreciated.

Back