Priming and Kolsch Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Oktoberfest (Ale) back in January and I used WLP029 Kolsch/German Ale as my yeast (with a starter). Everything went rather well, but my bottle conditioning is not going so well for some reason. The carbonation is not coming up to where it should be. It has been in the bottle since February 8th (6 weeks). I primed with 3/4 cup of corn sugar before I bottled. It has been sitting for 6 weeks at right near 70 degrees constantly. I tried one at the 5 week mark but haven't tried another one this week. At the 5 week mark, the head formed fairly well when I poured it into the glass but the beer was still rather flat.

Does this yeast take longer than normal when bottle conditioning?

I'm drinking the same recipe right now "well when I get home from work anyway":drunk: at 2 weeks one had no carbs & the next one did I let set another week (as long as I could wait) and so far there all carbed. I used the surgary powder that came in the kit though not sure what it was but it worked. I'm only on my second batch right now brewing my 3rd on friday if its rainy.

I always use 1.8 cups of Dextrose to prime a 5 gallon batch with Kolsch yeast WLP029

Carb level seems just right to me this way.

I find some yeast seem to need more priming than others.

Some Belgian yeast i used you dont want to put more than about 3 quarter of a cup unless you want bottle bombs.

Back