Priming Amount Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jweese74

Reaction score
Ok, I'm sure you guys have answered this question 1000 times, and I've read several threads on the forums regarding it as well but I'm a tad confused.

I was just about to start bottling, even went so far as to make my priming syrup and then second guessed myself. I used a brewing calculator I had found in someone else's post, and it all seemed to add up but -- being my first batch to bottle (yes bottles) I decided to look it up further.

It's a Coopers Real Ale, however my LHBS also provided me with an "ale" enhancer that they put together (because I couldn't get the Coopers Enhancer). The Coopers website suggests 180g of Dex, but the calculator suggests 130g!

So, you can see my confusion.

It's a little less than 23 litres, somewhere around 22.6 I'd guess, sitting at 20-21 degrees Celsius.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, I've got the bottles and bottling bucket all sterilized and ready to go, just need to prime lol.

Thanks everyone and anyone!
:drunk:

EDIT

If it's necessary to know, it sat in a primary for a little over a week, been in the secondary for about 4 weeks now. It's the brightest, and reddest beer I've ever seen (like, Fire truck red - hopefully I can post pictures of it afterwards).

Thanks again.

Thanks for the quick reply, I primed with 165g. All bottled and ready to go, kind of excited now - had about 1/2 a bottle in the bucket, so I chilled it and drank it. Tasted very nice (mind you, sweet from the prime, but good!).

Back