Priming a Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJR

Reaction score
I recently made a Edme Stout from a kit and it's ready to bottle and prime. However it isn't as thick as I would have hoped a stout would be. I'm wondering if I should/could prime it using something like syrup or treacle and that would hopefully make it the consistency of something like Guinness.

Thanks everybody.

:mug:

Guinness gets its mouthfeel from how it is carbonated, other than that it is a pretty light beer. I would carbonate it like normal as carbonation will give a lot more "body" to the beer.

Adding treacle will not give you more body. Most of those sugars will fill out, and you'll actually have a bit drier mouthfeel than you want.

You might want to consider priming with this. http://www.muntons.com/homebeer/other-products/misc_kreamyx.asp

But honestly, like Bensiff said, if your beer's not carbed and conditioned then you really don't know what the mouthfeel and body will be like. Co2 goes a long way to lifting the percived body and the mouthfeel.

If this is a kit recipe or the first time you brewed it, I would prime, carb and condition as normal, before assuming something is wrong. You may be surprised. If not, drink it, brew it again and do something on the next batch to bump up the body/mouthfeel. Like carapils/Dextrin, or the afore mentioned creamy x.

I notice a lot of new brewers think something is wrong long before the beer is actually finished. It's a long journey the beer has to go through...and it changes so much on the journey, once it's been in the bottle for 6 weeks you'd be surprised how different the beer will be from what you perceived it to be now.

Ended up priming with treacle and glycerine. Trying to make it fairly dry but end up with a decent mouthfeel. (I had leftover treacle from a treacle tart recipe.) I'll leave it in bottles for a month before cracking one open.

Back