Priming a keg opinions please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldies

Reaction score
So I have a converted chest freezer I just built that holds 2 kegs. The down time to carb my kegs was a little to long to be without some homebrew the first time I started to keg so I though I may as well build my pipeline by buying 2 more kegs a just prime them while I wait for my others to blow. I just kegged my oatmeal stout with 1/3 cup of corn sugar on Friday night and put a little gas on it to seal the lid. Of course the next night after I do this my other stout blows and now i'm stuck with just a hefe on tap.

My thought was to let the primed stout sit for about 5 days and then put it in the chest freezer to cool down and put it on 30 PSI for a day and then go down to serving PSI and enjoy. The only down side I can see to this is I would most likely have some yeast food still in the stout (sugar) and might possibly affect the taste of the beer. But at the same time I doubt you would be even to tell in 5 gallons, and of course the first pint I pull needs to be poured out.

Has anyone primed a keg and put it on gas after a few days? Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks fellas :mug:

chill the keg (if the co2 bottle is chilled). take the co2 bottle and your keg into the living room. stand the co2 bottle up, and lay the keg down (connected by the co2 line). roll the keg with your feet off and on for an hour. it'll be charged. put it back in the kegerator, and drink the following night

I was more wondering if anyone has CO2 carbed their beer after they have only had it priming for around 5 days.

It was in my primary for around 2 1/2 weeks and then I transfered it to the keg with 1/3 cup of priming sugar so its about 3 weeks now. 5 days as in sitting with priming sugar in it.

It was in my primary for around 2 1/2 weeks and then I transfered it to the keg with 1/3 cup of priming sugar so its about 3 weeks now. 5 days as in sitting with priming sugar in it.

Not long enough for natural carbing. I wait at least a month after I remove it from the secondary, just for taste.

I was more wondering if anyone has CO2 carbed their beer after they have only had it priming for around 5 days.

Sure, I've done that. It may be a wee bit sweeter than intended, but not much. 1/3 cup of dextrose in five gallons isn't much at all, and some of it would be fermented out in 5 days.

Back