Primary women homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
Aside from Yooper, how many primary brewers out there are women? Those that are the brewers in the family, not because the husband or boyfriend brews also. Just asking this question because I was in my LHBS the other day and there was a very attractive woman getting her grain bill. I asked if she was the brewer and she stated that she was the helper, implying a significant other was the main brewer. I somehow felt a little disappointed. I had fantasies of a match made in beer heaven. Pop the balloon!:(

I think there are quite a few, but I haven't "seen" some of them in a while. I know JMulligan, nomadjanet, Bedlam, and Laural are very active brewers. I think Melana is still on the wagon, though!

There were quite a few more active ones in the past. Whatever happened to BetaPleatedSheet, Beerluvngirl(I think I got that ID wrong), JuneBug, DancingBareFoot, and some of the others?

Who am I missing? I swear, my memory really is getting terrible!

Me! I ordered 6 lbs of hops last weekend and only told my darling husband about it later.

We brew together, but he got mad at me the last time I started without him because he wasn't home...

I am a brew gal. Hubby is great help when I need it (bottling, carboys, etc) but I do the cooking and recipe formation!

I was at Ace Hardware getting a couple of blow off tubes for the new better bottle carboys (I need the glass ones for mead brewing this summer). As soon as the gentleman found out it was for brewing, we were having a great time swapping stories about brewing. Too cool!

I'm a women, though I'm still really new to the brewing addiction. Waiting for supplies to come in the mail:D. I'm starting to do this because I want to prove to my brother that beer does not taste like top ramen. And I like learning random things.

I am a brew gal. Hubby is great help when I need it (bottling, carboys, etc) but I do the cooking and recipe formation!

I was at Ace Hardware getting a couple of blow off tubes for the new better bottle carboys (I need the glass ones for mead brewing this summer). As soon as the gentleman found out it was for brewing, we were having a great time swapping stories about brewing. Too cool!

Where do I get one of those merit badges?? I find that when I have lots to do, somehow I find some way to tinker with my brew stuff. Like today, I should be working on my taxes, but I'm running to the LHBS to get more bottles. My dishes can be stacking up, but I always have clean, label stripped bottles.

My wife appreciates that I brew, but has no interest in helping. She doesn't like the smell and doesn't drink beer (although I think she's slowly at least learning to like some... maybe)

But my 9 yo daughter loves to help! I have a barleywine that I wan tot put into 8oz Coke bottles and she was begging me to let her help remove the painted logos. I ended up using a razor blade to scrape it off. She only did like 3 to my 12, but she was a trouper!

Oh and a friend comes over to help sometimes and his 14yo daughter is interested in the process, although I dont' yet know if she will end up wanting to brew her own, or even like the taste of beer.

Way to start them young! Father-daughter brewery. I like it. As long as you're together is what counts. Now if you can keep her interested thru the teen-wow,there are boys out there-years. All the teenage boys are going to want to come to your house instead of sneaking booze from their fathers' stash.

I think there are quite a few, but I haven't "seen" some of them in a while. I know JMulligan, nomadjanet, Bedlam, and Laural are very active brewers. I think Melana is still on the wagon, though!

There were quite a few more active ones in the past. Whatever happened to BetaPleatedSheet, Beerluvngirl(I think I got that ID wrong), JuneBug, DancingBareFoot, and some of the others?

Who am I missing? I swear, my memory really is getting terrible!

Don't forget about The jaded dog. Our secret Santa hero.

Way to start them young! Father-daughter brewery. I like it. As long as you're together is what counts. Now if you can keep her interested thru the teen-wow,there are boys out there-years. All the teenage boys are going to want to come to your house instead of sneaking booze from their fathers' stash.

I agree. I like that she likes to do stuff with me. Last brew day I taught her chess while I failed at watching for boil-overs. Nothing better to do out in the cold garage.

I'm afraid that she is already starting to be interested in teenage stuff. Fashion, makeup, etc. Her older daughter (14) is not like that.

I did give my young one a taste of an IPA as we bottled it. She was against it, but I told her she has to at least taste it, don't have to swallow it... HEHEHEHE! I bet she will stay away from beer for a long time now! She had to run across the house to spit it out!

She'll get another chance when she is older.

Heavy lifting: Putting primary or secodary on top of any surface that is taller than chest high of a 5foot 2inch person.
HWMBC: He who must be Controlled. just a joke based on the she who must be obeyed.
in real life there is no way to controll him, just go with the flow.

My wife appreciates that I brew, but has no interest in helping. She doesn't like the smell and doesn't drink beer (although I think she's slowly at least learning to like some... maybe)

The girlfriend seems to not mind helping me bottle, but she could do without the rest. Doesn't like the smell. Thinks there are "too many steps" involved and "too much time waiting for the beer to be ready to drink."

So, basically, she knows how to handle my bottling wand and is all about instant gratification - I guess I don't have anything to complain about. ;)

My wife helped me bottle until she cracked off the top of a bottle. Now we say she doesn't know her own strength and I rock it Han style (solo). She doesn't like beer though so I felt bad using her for labor anyway.

I can't believe how many people say their significant others don't like beer. I am single, but I won't date someone unless they'll drink beer. But I am obsessive, so that might be it.

I can't believe how many people say their significant others don't like beer. I am single, but I won't date someone unless they'll drink beer. But I am obsessive, so that might be it.

Why do you need your woman to drink beer? Mine not only encourages my hobby but actually got me started. I've got zero hassle on the brewing front and if we have drinks together she drinks cheap fizzy coolers or sparkling wine. What difference does it make that she doesn't drink the same thing I do? I don't understand that.

HWMO likes that I brew and is quite happy to drink it. But he finds brew day boring, mostly because I like doing everything myself (minus carrying a full MLT or boil pot). He does enjoy bragging to his guy friends that I make beer. :D And he doesn't mind planning our vacations around going to places with good beer/breweries.

HWMO likes that I brew and is quite happy to drink it. But he finds brew day boring, mostly because I like doing everything myself (minus carrying a full MLT or boil pot). He does enjoy bragging to his guy friends that I make beer. :D And he doesn't mind planning our vacations around going to places with good beer/breweries.

In my case, HWMO loves the beer and wine (and now cheese) that I make. But other than helping out on wine bottling day (and NOT by sanitizing/cleaning/etc, only using the floor corker), he doesn't do a thing with it.

One day I asked him to lift a full 6 gallon carboy for me, and he declined. I was not happy- and he said, "You know what? It's YOUR hobby. I don't ask you to go pull weeds in my garden. If you volunteer, that's great. But I wouldn't ask. If you can't do the physical aspects of your hobby, then take up knitting."

I was mad, but he had a point! So, when I get unable to lift full carboys, and full MLTs, I'm getting a Sabco brewing sculpture. And a wine racking room so I don't have to lift the carboys. So there!

Hafta say, we ladies who brew probably have it somewhat easier - no significant other who would be likely to oppose the hobby that's for sure. It's more like mmmmmm...beer!

One day I asked him to lift a full 6 gallon carboy for me, and he declined. I was not happy- and he said, "You know what? It's YOUR hobby. I don't ask you to go pull weeds in my garden. If you volunteer, that's great. But I wouldn't ask. If you can't do the physical aspects of your hobby, then take up knitting."

Wow! That is tough love! Especially because you're not a big woman. I haul most of my own stuff around, and being 5'9" and not fragile in figure, I manage pretty well. But if HWMO hears me grunting (I said I manage, I didn't say I like it or that it's easy!), trying to swing the full carboy up onto a counter, he will come help. I think it makes him feel useful. ;)

Wow! That is tough love! Especially because you're not a big woman. I haul most of my own stuff around, and being 5'9" and not fragile in figure, I manage pretty well. But if HWMO hears me grunting (I said I manage, I didn't say I like it or that it's easy!), trying to swing the full carboy up onto a counter, he will come help. I think it makes him feel useful. ;)

LOL! Bob isn't a jerk like he sounds! But he did have a point, and it made me think a bit. It's my hobby. All of it- the fun part (brewing), the funnest part (drinking!) and the not-so-fun parts (sanitizing equipment, hauling it up from the basement, racking).

Since tomorrow is a wine bottling day, he will help this evening with bringing the carboys up out of the cellar and put them up on the kitchen island for bottling. We might bottle as much as 15-20 gallons tomorrow, depending on how many bottles I actually have in the basement.

For brewing on Sunday, though, he'll make himself absent all day long.

LOL! Bob isn't a jerk like he sounds!

Since tomorrow is a wine bottling day, he will help this evening with bringing the carboys up out of the cellar and put them up on the kitchen island for bottling. We might bottle as much as 15-20 gallons tomorrow, depending on how many bottles I actually have in the basement.

I know he's not, just from when you've talked about him! :)

That's a lot of bottling! And awesome that he helps you with it! I think Aaron is relieved I got into kegging, so he won't get harassed at bottling time anymore (not that he ever helped anyway!). ;)

Back