Primary vs Secondary Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theDarkPint

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to order my first kegging system (done with bottles) and had a question around Primary and Secondary regulators. I've done general Google searches as well as searching this forum and I'm still not 100% clear on a few details.

My understanding is that secondary regs sit under the primary and allow you to adjust pressure to multiple kegs underneath. However, what I was reading said you needed to set the regulator based on the difference in pressure you wanted. Is this correct?

I was going to purchase a dual-primary system from keg connection and was wondering if I would have to manage pressure the same way. Or if, since they are both right off the CO2 canister, setting one to 12 and one to 30 means that reg A is putting out 12 and B is putting out 30. I'm sure it's a noob question, I just want to be 100% sure what I'm doing before I make the purchase.

Follow-up question: Why would anyone use a secondary instead of another primary? They seem to be comparable in price.

Thanks in advance!

I have a dual body regulator (Taprite) from Keg Connection. This makes things even easier, since you have less things to deal with. I have the first body (closer to the tank) set to the higher pressure. BUT, I could set either to any pressure I want, since it passes between on the high pressure side.

IMO, I wouldn't use secondary regulators. I've found that two pressure ranges are all I need for all the styles I'm brewing and serving off of keg.

One thing I would suggest is have Keg Connection change the shut-off's on the regulator (for Taprite's) if they don't have MFL fittings to MFL fittings. IMO/IME barbs for the gas lines are more trouble than they're worth. Having the MFL connections wherever the gas (or beer) lines connect makes changing lines far easier. I have them pretty much on everything (the manifolds inside the brew fridge have barbs on the inlet, but that's it).

BTW, I have four kegs in my brew fridge, with two manifolds (a three port and a dual port). I typically feed a lower pressure to the dual port manifold, since that's what I use for brown ales and porters. My pale ales, and such, go onto the 3 port manifold, which is set to a slightly higher pressure. I also use gas bulkheads to pass the CO2 feeds from the regulator to inside the brew fridge. No worries about the gas line being cut, or fatigued at all. For the few dollars the bulkheads cost, they're well worth the investment. I also really like having the CO2 tank outside the fridge. It allows me to easily see the pressure levels going through the bodies, as well as the tank level. No need to open up the brew fridge (at all) to do this.

Have 10 all primaries linked in series allows for me to run lines to control pressures for different needs. 1 dedicated at 30psi to set seal on kegs also runs to my gas mixer to blend with Nitrogen for stouts and porters 2taps. 2 regs. feed my carbing kegs (4) the other 7 go to 10 taps as different beers require different CO2 settings, bought all used over time off e-bay/criegslist and all Tap-Rite (same rebuild kit) have less then $125.00 total in regs.

Secondaries are usually used to extend service away from the tank and primary, like mounted on a wall on in the brewery for a specific low pressure requirement.

Thanks for the feedback, that all makes sense. I think for my rig I'll stick with two primaries to start.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back