Primary too short?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinglejohn

Reaction score
I did a couple of brews over spring break, one was ana apa the other a porter. The latter i racked to secondary after only about 3 1/2 days, immediatly after the foam settled out. I racked it quickly because one of my carboys(where i was planning to put the apa) got cracked.

The Porter tastes very good, that not really my concern, it is sweeter than i was hoping with an FG of 1.020, the og was 1.060. I was expecting an FG around 1.015. Is it so high because i racked it so early?

Racking after only 3.5 days seems very early to me.

Probably why you ended with so high of a FG IMO.

I always leave mine for about 14 days in the primary or until their very close to 1.010 (1.012 is ok too) then depending on the type of yeast used i sometimes transfer to secondary for an extra week, then bottle.

As i read in these forums, what i do is considered very early as well.

Give your beer batches a favor and let them sit on the yeast cake much longer.

I find that the fermentation is fast. The idea behind leaving it longer is to clean it up. I racked a stout quickly (7 days) and it had Diacetyl, which has happened to me every time that I go really quick from primary to keg. I do a cooler ferment, so that is known to be a problem.

Latest posts

Back