Primary/Secondary Bucket vs. Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danimal615

Reaction score
My first two batches i did primary in the bucket and moved over to the carboy for secondary. Most of my reading on this forum says the secondary maybe introducing more risk than reward. When you are not using a secondary do you use the bucket or carboy for fermentation?

Leave it in the fermentation/primary bucket for 3~4 weeks (personally, I leave it in the primary for 4 weeks, no good reason, it's because it's what I like to do), rack to bottling vessel, and bottle/keg.

My first two batches i did primary in the bucket and moved over to the carboy for secondary. Most of my reading on this forum says the secondary maybe introducing more risk than reward. When you are not using a secondary do you use the bucket or carboy for fermentation?

If your carboy is large enough (6-6.5 gallons) you can indeed use it as a primary fermenter. So, basically you can use either buckets or carboys (or PET bottles) as primary fermenters.

I do most of my non-explosive brews in my 6.5g carboy. The gotcha with buckets are they are o2 permeable, so if you leave the beer too long (months?) you'll oxidize the final wort.

I think the no-secondary is more laziness ... And that's why I do it. Way easier not to clean multiple vessels after a 2 stage ferment.

The most important thing is the size of the fermenter. If you have a 6.5g bucket and a 5g carboy, the carboy is too small to use as a fermenter for a 5g batch, and you will get a blow off, losing a considerable amount of beer; but 5g is fine for a secondary (if you need one). If you have a 6.5g carboy, that's big enough for most fermentations. and you could use either.

-a.

If both are 6.5 gallon, it's a matter of bucket (way easier to clean) vs. carboy (so you and your friends can be entertained watching the fermentation). Your choice.

The carboy is 6.5. Does one do a better job than the other? My next beer is a Amber Ale so it wont be fermenting for months.

I prefer to primary in the bucket because it's easier to clean then a carboy. I've read glass is best to avoid oxidation but I've never had a problem in the plastic bucket. I only use a secondary if I'm dry hopping.

You apparently didn't get the memo earlier, this isn't an either/or question. You use both for fermentation. If your carboy is big enough you use it for another batch of beer. If it is too small for the expected krausen, you make cider or wine in it. :mug:

Ive always used buckets on the primary, how I was taught. Then I would move it to the glass carboy, again, taught. I just tried a bucket secondary since I had to add cherries and prefer it. Cleaning and getting clean beer out was way easier. I also stopped doing the secondary unless I'm introducing something in. Easier IMO and seems like it makes.sense not to bother.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

I use buckets for primary. Usually in there for 3 weeks, pop only once about 2.5 weeks after brew for first grav check, then seal up again until bottling.
If I need to do secondary, which I only do for bulk aging for sours, wood, fruit and the like, I will use a carboy.

I use carboys for everything. Cleaning is easy w/ B-Brite & hot water. I rarely even need a brush.
Yes, it can be entertaining but it is also nice to see how things are progressing and not guess or merely wait 3-4 weeks. It's also easier to take SG samples & less risky than dealing w/ bucket lids.
I also secondary everything & keg condition everything.
I'm old & patient! It results in good beer , too!

I have both, any beer that has any sort of after fermentation additions goes in the buckets for sure. Much easier to get 6oz+ worth of dry hops in and out of a bucket.

Outside of convenience issues like that, that plastic buckets vs glass carboys is basically akin to a religious debate around here.

The carboy is 6.5. Does one do a better job than the other? My next beer is a Amber Ale so it wont be fermenting for months.

If you are doing 5 gal batches that carboy si too big to be using for a secondary unless you are either flushing it first with CO2 (to drive the oxygen out) or using something like sanitized glass marbles to cut your head space down.

You apparently didn't get the memo earlier, this isn't an either/or question. You use both for fermentation. If your carboy is big enough you use it for another batch of beer. If it is too small for the expected krausen, you make cider or wine in it. :mug:

Dang. I was asking if there were advantages other than convenience. I get that you can use both but is there any difference with clarity or anything that makes it better? Is there less risk of oxidizing the beer when checking a carboy since the opening is smaller?

Thank you for the advice everyone on your preferences.

Dang. I was asking if there were advantages other than convenience. I get that you can use both but is there any difference with clarity or anything that makes it better? Is there less risk of oxidizing the beer when checking a carboy since the opening is smaller?

Thank you for the advice everyone on your preferences.

That's why I answered as I did. There are advantages and disadvantages to both and you have to sort out in your own mind which make the most sense to you. I won't own a carboy because they are heavy, awkward, and dangerous. I like my bucket because it has a handle and won't shatter if I drop it. However, I can't see how the fermentation is going without opening that lid and it doesn't come off easily. I don't always see if the fermentation has started because some of my bucket lids leak and I get no bubbles. With either there are tradeoffs.

Thanks! I think i am going to go with the bucket. If the quality of beer is the same might as well go with the easier to use. Plus i can see the carboy drop being a matter of time lol.

Back