Primary In A 5 Gallon Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imsperic

Reaction score
Is it a good or bad idea to do primary fermentation in a 5 gallon carboy with nothing more than a 3 piece airlock?

Depends how much you plan to put in the 5-gallon carboy. 5-gallons? 3-gallons?

I do 5-gallon primary fermentations using a 5-gallon carboy all the time but I wouldn't do it without a blowoff hose.

bad idea, where on the island are you? btw you want a blow off and even still thats very little headspace..

i agree, at least do a blowoff tube. You still might have an explosion. Post pictures or it didn't happen!

I've done it, but you definitely want a blow off tube.

This is a 1/2" ID plastic tube stuck on a 3 piece air lock w/out the cup dew-hickey and the top. Put the other end into a bucket filled with water/sterilizer solution. BE SURE NOT TO PUT THE BUCKET ABOVE THE AIRLOCK!!! This may cause a siphon that will most likely ruin your day/batch.

Cheers!:mug:

+1 on all the blow off tube advise, or you are going to have a mess..... that is if you are fermenting 5 gallons of wort.

bad idea, where on the island are you? btw you want a blow off and even still thats very little headspace..

Suffolk county.

I guess I'll need to purchase another 6 gallon carboy, or use the 5 gallon exclusively as a secondary or as a primary for small batches.

I guess I'll need to purchase another 6 gallon carboy, or use the 5 gallon exclusively as a secondary or as a primary for small batches.

I use a bucket for primary after a pretty nasty blow off episode. I will be going to the 6 or 6.5 gallon here soon as soon as SWSBO lets me buy more gear.

When I first started not enough research was done so ended up with 4-5gal carboys. Yes, I'd love to have the 6.5 gal version, but my 5 gal work just fine, but a blow off tube is 100% necessary.

Back