Primary Fermintation (How Many Days??)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjfvt

Reaction score
Hi I made a Pilsner IPA with a 1lb each of golden Oats and Flaked Rye. I used Wyeast Labs 1332 yeast and set everything up in the Beer Smith software. The instructions said 4 days in the primary fermentation but the yeast is still working great. It bubbles every four seconds.

How long should I go on the primary fermentation?

The general consensus is to not transfer to secondary. Keep it in primary for two to three weeks then bottle/keg.

Airlock bubbling doesn't necessarily mean it's still fermenting though.

I was going to rack into secondary but from what you say I don't need to. I do need to dry hop, How about if I check the gravity in 7 days and to see if its close to the mark and dry hop at the same time?

I would dry hop it after 7-10 days assuming fermentation is nearly complete. 5-7 days later I would also consider racking to a secondary and allowing it to clear for several weeks based on the fact that it's a Pils and you may prefer it to be nice and clear. Nevertheless, many argue against the secondary and it's certainly not necessary in most cases.

I was going to rack into secondary but from what you say I don't need to. I do need to dry hop, How about if I check the gravity in 7 days and to see if its close to the mark and dry hop at the same time?

You still won't need to rack to secondary, unless you want to harvest yeast. There's no real need to check the gravity after 7 days, but that is a good time to add your dry hop.

I would wait till you know it's done fermenting before dry hopping. Do you a hydrometer to check the gravity? I'd give it 7-10 days then check the gravity then check it again a few days later. If they're the same drop in your dry hops wait a couple days then bottle/keg if the gravity is different the second time wait a few more days and repeat the cycle till they are the same that is the only way you will know if it's done fermenting. If you are using a refractometer you need to use a conversion calculator as alcohol present in the sample skews your reading falsely higher than actual FG

I would dry hop it after 7-10 days assuming fermentation is nearly complete. 5-7 days later I would also consider racking to a secondary and allowing it to clear for several weeks based on the fact that it's a Pils and you may prefer it to be nice and clear. Nevertheless, many argue against the secondary and it's certainly not necessary in most cases.

I think it's a pils malt IPA, not a lager. WY1332 is an ale yeast.

Good information thank everyone, I'm thinking “Beer Bug Wife Digital Hydrometer” would help keep an eye without disturbing the beer and less chance on contamination

Latest posts

Back