Primary fermenting time vs secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhouse

Reaction score
I've never used a secondary fermenter before the batch I have going now, and I wanted to tug on the coats of some of you venerable grey beards to make sure I understand how to use this thing properly. My primary question has to do with timing. If I'm brewing a beer that I've done before and have left in the brewing bucket for six weeks before bottling, will I get two different beers if I do, say, one batch with three weeks in the primary and three weeks in the secondary versus another batch with four weeks in primary and two weeks in secondary? As long as active fermentation has stopped, does it matter when I put the batch in secondary?

Thanks in advance.

Unless you're lagering, drying hopping or making a fruit beer, skip the 2ndry and bottle / keg after a 3-4 week primary. I have dry hopped in the primary too. Just give your beer time to ferment, let the yeast drop out (let the beer clear) and then have at it (i.e., bottle or keg). You should let it sit and condition longer depending on the style. E.g., pale ale and hefe, get em packaged and consumed. Stouts and porters, let em condition longer. Good luck.

Back