Primary fermenter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan82nf

Reaction score
Just wondering if it is safe to snap the lid of my primary fermenter on all the way without using an air lock? The last time I made a brew I only laid it on and foam went everywhere

It's not so much that I don't want to as the lid doesn't have a place for one

If it's fermenting and you close the lid with no airlock, you're gonna have a bad time

So I guess I'm better off just laying the lid on to keep contaminants out but allowing it to breath and just dealing with the foam over then

You're not exactly guaranteeing an uninfected beer by not having an airlock

How big is your bucket? Sounds like maybe you are using a generic 5 gallon bucket, for a 5 gallon batch. If you are brewing 5 gallons of beer, you should have a 6.5 gallon bucket with a lid, with a hole/grommet that accommodates an airlock. If you are just setting the lid on and it the krausen from the yeast is overflowing the top of the bucket - you are doing it wrong.

Drill and rubber grommet! I also just read about putting a large diameter hose over the top of a carboy to allow overflow without contamination?? Never have tried it but I'm sure people here have?!

I am using a 6 gallon bucket...with the way im doing it ruin the beer? I understand without the lid on tight and without an air lock can lead to higher probability of infection but will it turn out horribly even if not infected?

Back