Primary fermentation done already?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dime1622

Reaction score
I brewed my Northern Brewer hefe extract kit on Wednesday night, and everything went off without a hitch. I pitched the Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan yeast a little higher than I had hoped at 76 degrees (was aiming for 72 like the smack pack suggested). The smack pack had been activated about 7-8 hours earlier and was as inflated as it could be. I then put the fermenter in my basement where it is a constant 68 degrees day and night.

Thursday morning, the airlock (3-piece) was going wild, and the Fermometer was reading 76 degrees, a bit higher than I wanted. I figured it'd drop a little as the fermentation calmed down.

As of tonight, just 48 hours after brewing, the airlock is completely inactive. The Fermometer is now reading 72 degrees. I don't really want to open it up to test the SG yet (partially because I still need to buy a hydrometer :p), but if fermentation has stalled I don't know if I want it sitting for a week.

Thoughts?

It's possible that it's done, but the only way to confirm that is with a gravity reading.

With that being said, leaving it sit for a week won't harm it at all.

Let it ride for two weeks before you pop the lid. Patience and cleanliness are the two most important virtues in brewing.

Thanks for the replies! For sanitary purposes, I really didn't want to open it up; even if fermentation were done, I would want it to sit in there for two full weeks before bottling. Being able to let it sit even if the fermentation were stalled is comforting.

If the beer temperature is above room temperature, then it is probably still working (or being heated by he floor). If it's in a bucket, they often have leaks, and you may only see airlock activity when it is at the height of it's fermentation activity.

Yup. Sounds like it's done with initial fermentation to me. It'll settle down & maybe not bubble again as it treks it's way down to FG. Give it 3-5 days to clean up & settle out more after a stable FG.

Latest posts

Back