Primary Done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadYetiBrew

Reaction score
Ok, I know you guys are getting sick of me and my stupid and redundant questions. However this being my first 2 batches I want it to go right. It's like a child I don't want to F* it up and have it turn into a Serial Killer... lol

So, I have 1 Carboy giving me a bubble every minute to minute an a half. The other one is giving me a bubble every 10ish seconds (around 6 a minute)... My question is has fermentation stopped enough to rack to second? The one was made from a kit and said that Primary would take 3-4 days, it's been 4 and it's the one that is bubbling the least... The second one I started the day after that one and wasn't from a kit so i don't know what the expected ferment time is for it (it's the one that had super fermentation)...

I know it sounds like I'm rushing things which I sort of am. I have family coming into town that I would like to send some with and I'm excited to taste my first brews...

You're not done fermenting, so I'd wait at least a week. That is standard for primary among this forum, I believe. You'd be okay racking it to secondary now, but you might need a blow off tube just to be safe. It would benefit from remaining in the primary, as i said, though, because when you rack to secondary, you'll be leaving behind most of the yeast that still may be working. If you are in a hurry, you can just keep it in the primary until it's done fermenting (use a hydrometer), and skip the secondary. This will allow you to bottle sooner, and drink sooner. Cheers!:D

I was thinking of skipping the clearing stage... I may just leave it in prime for the rest of the week then a little and just bottle from prime... Just wanted it to clear some... But eh, that's just looks...

It really depends on a lot of things (Recipe, OG/FG, etc.)

I would probably take a gravity reading and then check it in a few days and see what happens. If no movement happens, rack to secondary; however, general rule of thumb is the 1-2-3 method. 1-week in the primary, 2-weeks in the secondary and 3-weeks in the bottle or keg. Rushing a beer isn't going to get it to finish up or taste good earlier, for that matter. If you rush the process the only thing you may give to your family are some bottle bombs.

:mug:

Well friday was our original date for racking... and it looks like both will cease to bubble completely by then... So could i just skip clearing it, or should i clear it for a week then bottle or what? The clearness of it isn't that important to me as is finishing fermentation completely...

No, that's not all i'm after it would taste flat... I just want to get it bottled in time, I can wait for the mellowing in the bottles... eh I dunno what we'll do... Probably end up sticking with the 123 rule and mail them the beer... Anyone know how much that costs lol...

Depends on how soon they are coming. If you skip the secondary, which is perfectly acceptable, then you'll have good tasting beer in three weeks (bottled). You can try to drink it "green" after only a couple of weeks in the bottle, but it might not be to your expectations. Since this is your first batches, I'd just skip the clearing/secondary stage altogether.

On the other hand, you want your friends to taste a good quality beer, and not many homebrewers can do that on their first or second try. I'm not doubting your quality, but just something to think about. Even though my beer is very good now, my father-in-law won't even try it, because he had a bad experience from someone else's homebrew in the past--trips to the bathroom. So, you may want to taste it first and mail it to them, or just send them some from a later batch that you have, hopefully, improved on. Or, just warn them ahead of time, "it's not finished yet, but here is what it tastes like at this stage."

Mailing beer is expensive b/c it weighs a lot. You'd probably pay about ten bucks for a sixer, I'm guessing, maybe more. Although, they say it's illegal (I don't know), so if asked, say it is "yeast samples". I've done it and never been asked by USPS what was in it. Don't think they'll ask unless you are shipping it overseas.

Cheers!

desiderata said:
Depends on how soon they are coming. If you skip the secondary, which is perfectly acceptable, then you'll have good tasting beer in three weeks (bottled). You can try to drink it "green" after only a couple of weeks in the bottle, but it might not be to your expectations. Since this is your first batches, I'd just skip the clearing/secondary stage altogether.

On the other hand, you want your friends to taste a good quality beer, and not many homebrewers can do that on their first or second try. I'm not doubting your quality, but just something to think about. Even though my beer is very good now, my father-in-law won't even try it, because he had a bad experience from someone else's homebrew in the past--trips to the bathroom. So, you may want to taste it first and mail it to them, or just send them some from a later batch that you have, hopefully, improved on. Or, just warn them ahead of time, "it's not finished yet, but here is what it tastes like at this stage."

Mailing beer is expensive b/c it weighs a lot. You'd probably pay about ten bucks for a sixer, I'm guessing, maybe more. Although, they say it's illegal (I don't know), so if asked, say it is "yeast samples". I've done it and never been asked by USPS what was in it. Don't think they'll ask unless you are shipping it overseas.

Cheers!

Thanks alot... We're going to clear for 1 week atleast and then bottle the day before they leave. No offense taking in doubting the first batch... I know it won't be perfect but I have high hopes it won't completely bomb. I'm going to take a little taste when we rack. 10 for a six packs not bad i guess... I won't see them again till June, and by then my brews should have gotten at least a little bit better...

I think I would do just what you're planning- at least 1 week in secondary to clear up a bit. You'll rack it off the trub into secondary, and again when you move it to the bottling bucket. When you bottle it the day before they leave, give them 6 to take with them, with instructions to put in the fridge in 3 weeks!

I know you're eager- it helps alot for us when we have 6 or seven cases of beer in different stages. I'm not in such a hurry to bottle the 3 batches I have in various stages around here, because I have 5 other cases to choose from. But I am bottling my IPA today, and moving my Dead Guy to secondary, and starting to drop the temperature on my lager. That makes the waiting so much easier!

Lorena

lorenae said:
I think I would do just what you're planning- at least 1 week in secondary to clear up a bit. You'll rack it off the trub into secondary, and again when you move it to the bottling bucket. When you bottle it the day before they leave, give them 6 to take with them, with instructions to put in the fridge in 3 weeks!

Won't the conditioning stop once they put it in the fridge? Or at least the fermentation of the corn sugar (or whatever he uses for priming)? I would instruct them to store them in a cool dark place for 3 weeks and then refrigerate before drinking.

Ah, my mistake, Lorenae. I guess I was reading too fast and misread, "for three weeks", instead of "in three weeks". Oops.

Update: They couldn't visit us because her doctor said it wouldn't be wise (she's pregnant and it's a looong drive)...

We left it in primary for a full week, and moved to clearing. We took a taste without carbonation and it was good, very good, I think i can wait the rest of the time to have it carbonated and drink after 3 weeks in bottles... Next week we'll be brewing another...

Back