Prevent oxygen during cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After seeing @LittleRiver's balloon, I need to get a different balloon....definitely have at least two...

IMG_2271.jpg

This is my setup with a fermonster. Using ball lock posts and a diptube I’ve essentially turned the FV into a keg. I can then use the co2 produced in fermentation to purge the keg(pictured). Then when I crash I can hook it up to my co2 tank. I also can dryhop under pressure which is pretty awesome for brewing IPAs.
D8B6BD24-A240-42C9-8F1F-0800B09EE2B9.jpeg

Here is the lid itself
37544284-8AB3-40E7-98BD-2279353A956B.jpeg

So, if an empty, sanitized keg is connected to the blowoff tube, all the o2 will be purged from it over the course of fermentation? Including the first o2 purged from the fermenter?

I'm thinking of doing this next batch, and have a t fitting to a mylar balloon to use for cold crashing. Then do a closed transfer like i normally do.

I assume i would need the blowoff from the keg to go into a bucket of star San or an airlock.

So, if an empty, sanitized keg is connected to the blowoff tube, all the o2 will be purged from it over the course of fermentation? Including the first o2 purged from the fermenter?

Yes, the analysis assumes the fermenter headspace starts out as air and gets purged of O2 along with the keg.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back