Pretty advanced question I think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This supposes boiling down to a to a target volume. But most people boil for "X" minutes, and hitting a target volume is just a function of dialing in the process (total water in this case).

damn, i just sparge until i have a full kettle...then boil until i guess i got about an hour left, then toss in some hops....usually my boil take over two hours to even look like i only have 45 min, hour left on it....when it looks close to final volume i start checking with a nothced stick....

(i know probably not appropriate for me to post in a thread with "advanced question" in the title, lol)

So 4.5 kg of grain to 20 liters of water, ideal grind , mash 1.5 hours @ 152f, what would you expect the potential alcohol to be?,

So 4.5 kg of grain to 20 liters of water, ideal grind , mash 1.5 hours @ 152f, what would you expect the potential alcohol to be?,
I would expect that to produce, on my system, an OG of around 1.050, give or take a few points, which would result in an ABV of around 5-5.5%. Actual results dependent on conversion efficiency, mash efficiency, lauter efficiency, boil off, yeast attenuation, etc.

LOL you know ask 2 homebrewers a question.....

with 9.9lb's of grain in 5 gallons(19liters)....i'd do something like this:

9lb's pale malt
8oz's crystal 20L
4oz's crystal 120L
4oz's chocolate malt

lightly hop it, 'maybe' a dry hop if i'm feeling generous....

on my system i'd get a OG of 1.065, and an ABV of 8.6% because i'd also add gluco to get it to 1.000 for a FG..

:D :mug:

edit: oh and add it to the gallons brewed tally! And Welcome! to get your efficiency as good as my fly sparging the BIABers get 90% also....just not familiar with how....

Back