Pressure release valve failures on Corny Kegs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukester

Reaction score
Okay, so on two separate occasions of kegging beers in two weeks, I've had two pressure release valves fail. Prior to kegging, I disassembled the keg, cleaned and sanitized it and put it back together. Filled it with beer and added just enough CO2 to purge the O2. Pressure release valve started bubbling away so I replaced it, problem solved.

Now it's happened on a different keg. Same process, same problem. Is this just coincidence, am I not assembling the valve back correctly, or is this something a judicious use of keg lube would solve?

I've never had this problem before but two in two weeks seems odd.

Cheers,

Dukester

I put keg lube on mine and make sure they are tight. If it's the d-ring style, there isn't much more you can do than that.

Tried the keg lube and making sure the valve was seated, but that didn't do the trick. I discovered I had put the wrong valve back in when I reassembled the keg and the valve I put back in was an ever so slightly smaller diameter than the one that belonged to the keg. Right valve put back in and problem solved.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Cheers,

Duke

I am having the same problem, with the minor leak, on a used corny I just picked up.
I heard new pin and use keg lube as solutions, but how does everyone feel about sealing the release valve all together. My Sankey kegs don't have one. Why does my corny need one?

Sealing up the Safety Release Valve? Safety? I probably wouldn't do it. The chances you'll ever exceed the kegs rated pressure limit is probably slim but is it a chance you want to take?

Doesn't the coupler on a Sanke have a PRV?, not the keg itself.

Sealing up the Safety Release Valve? Safety? I probably wouldn't do it. The chances you'll ever exceed the kegs rated pressure limit is probably slim but is it a chance you want to take?

Doesn't the coupler on a Sanke have a PRV?, not the keg itself.

Yep... that slim chance is when your regulator goes out and turns a corney into a bomb. Already happened to me-except I still had my safety valve, so my co2 tank just emptied itself through the keg and into air at warp speed. I dont think I'd be happy if my lid didnt have that...

My Sankey kegs don't have one. Why does my corny need one?

Sankey kegs have them too, they're just in the coupler instead of in the keg. If in the slim chance your regulator malfunctions and sends way too much pressure to the keg, would you prefer it bleeds off safely through a PRV, or creates a bomb?

Back