Pressure Readings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beau_cephus

Reaction score
What should be the average pressure reading on a high pressure gauge read when your tank is stored in the refrigerator with your keg? I am about 4 beers deep on my first keg and showing around 600psi. I was around 800psi at room temp after getting my tank filled.

That's about normal. It depends on the temperature, so numbers will vary from person to person. Mine have usually dropped about 200 psi as well when cold. CO2 will change states from gas to liquid in relation to temperature and pressure, so the actual volume of CO2 in the tank is the same.

You can even ignore the high pressure gauge completely. It's useless... Even when the tank reaches the "fill tank" area on the gauge, if the tank is refrigerated, there still should be plenty more CO2 left.

[...]Even when the tank reaches the "fill tank" area on the gauge, if the tank is refrigerated, there still should be plenty more CO2 left.

When I was keeping a tank in a fridge, a freshly filled cylinder that read ~800psi at room temp was reading well into the "Red Zone" in the fridge...

Cheers!

When I was keeping a tank in a fridge, a freshly filled cylinder that read ~800psi at room temp was reading well into the "Red Zone" in the fridge...

Cheers!

Exactly my point. Just because it's in the red zone, doesn't mean that it's out of CO2. The same amount of CO2 is in there, it's just more dense and at a lower pressure. If you refill your tank based on the high pressure gauge reading while the tank is cold, you will be wasting a lot of CO2.

It'll stay 600 psi or so, until about 15 minutes before the tank is completely empty, when it will drop to 0. It's really useless, and not a gauge of how much is left in the tank. The best way to deal with it is to cover it with duct tape, in my opinion! :D

Back