Pressure fermenting in a plastic carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belgian Samurai

Reaction score
Hi,

So, I can pressure ferment in my kegs, but am wondering about using my Big Mouth Bubblers (BMB). I have heard to only use vessels rated for pressure fermenting, but I was not able to find a pressure spec for this carboy. At most, I don't think I'd be over 35 PSI, so would that plastic carboy wall be able to hold that level? (FWIW, the BMB carrying strap system also has a hold-down for the lid, so I should likelyl be able to get that snug enough to keep from having leaking ... maybe, maybe not.)

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Belgian Samurai

IMO, if something doesn't list a PSI/pressure level rating, assume it has NO real pressure tolerance. The absolute last thing you want to do is be in the area when something has a catastrophic failure due to pressure. For one thing, you'll lose the batch. For another you risk serious injury.

It's not just wall thickness that gives something pressure tolerance (when it comes to plastic fermenters). Things like the material composition and manufacturing process come into play. If there's a visible seam anywhere on the fermenter, that's a very real rupture risk point.

Thanks for that explanation! I learned something new every day. :) Okay, I'll just use the kegs.

Cheers!

I don't know if you can do the same with the BMBs, but I know this works with fermonsters because I've done it.
Thanks for the link. I read thru majority of pg1 and part of pg2. I will definitely keep it in mind. I would like to give it a try, but per my setup, the idea of cleaning up 5 gallons of beer causes me to strongly consider supporting the economy first. Haha

I have available kegs, so will use them to pressure ferment for the time being. I'm going cutoff the gas tube to down to a snub to maximize head space. From what I have found, a 5gal corny keg will hold 5.25 gallons.

I also just ordered a SPUNDit 2.0.

Last edited:
Back