Pressure canning starter wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only done this twice, and only making my own wort from all-grain 10 gal batches. The first time, I didn't boil and got all the break, it was ugly, but it got the job done. The second time, I did a quick 10 min boil, followed by cooling enough to can(jar..), and I got a much clearer wort in the end. Not sure on the effect on the wort, but it looked nicer.

For What It's Worth. I can(Jar) in 4 oz, 16oz and 32oz jars, I add more than the recommended yeast nutrients(~4Tbsp/gal of starter), and make 1.060 starter wort and tend to dilute 1:1 with water to make starters. This leaves me with enough to start small, and step up if needed adjusting the mix as needed. Always had great take-off from dregs and other yeast samples.

Building my yeast bank now.

I got this from NB today... The Maelstrom!
IMG_20200109_171302.jpeg

I've only done this twice, and only making my own wort from all-grain 10 gal batches. The first time, I didn't boil and got all the break, it was ugly, but it got the job done. The second time, I did a quick 10 min boil, followed by cooling enough to can(jar..), and I got a much clearer wort in the end. Not sure on the effect on the wort, but it looked nicer.

For What It's Worth. I can(Jar) in 4 oz, 16oz and 32oz jars, I add more than the recommended yeast nutrients(~4Tbsp/gal of starter), and make 1.060 starter wort and tend to dilute 1:1 with water to make starters. This leaves me with enough to start small, and step up if needed adjusting the mix as needed. Always had great take-off from dregs and other yeast samples.

Like this...
IMG_20200109_205637.jpeg

I got this from NB today... The Maelstrom!View attachment 661115
Nice.. I built my stir plate twice(computer fan with magnets, variable resistor etc..), then ended up buying a ~$23 amazon model from china, been running it for a few months now, but it's been great so far.
Been using a commercial proofer for now, but when I get my basement built, the first addition is a temp controlled spot for the stir plate.

Nice.. I built my stir plate twice(computer fan with magnets, variable resistor etc..), then ended up buying a ~$23 amazon model from china, been running it for a few months now, but it's been great so far.
Been using a commercial proofer for now, but when I get my basement built, the first addition is a temp controlled spot for the stir plate.
In the picture you can see my old stir plate. Served me for 12 long years. But I thought it was time to retire it go with something more durable, mine was starting to fall apart.

Do you can 1060 and dilute the smaller jars too?

I started canning wort so I could have sterile wort for starting building up slants. Having the quarts is a bonus, sure makes building a starter easy.

I do 4,8,16 and 32 ounce jars. I did the double strength thing for the pints and quarts but doing all 1036 to 1040 makes thing easier and keeps every thing sterile. I water down the 4oz jars to 1024 before canning as that is used for the first step up on slants.

I do 1.060 for everything, when I start with the smaller jars from dregs, I just do 4oz of 1.060 and 4 oz of sterile water, has worked fine for me. I'm not (yet) doing stuff from slants, so I just throw the frozen(thawed) samples to 8oz of 1.030(+nutrients), or dregs to the same, and do a step(or two) up before saving some and pitching the rest.
I never considered diluting before as I have had success doing it as I have, I guess the downside is only time in my canning day(at the pickup of a few starter jars).
I think though that we get off the original poster's point of the "look and feel" of the wort. and I would say that a quick boil leaves most of the break behind and is much more aesthetic, but I'm not sure the end value on a starter.
:edit: for spelling and grammar, I may have had some beer before posting :/edit: :mug:

Last edited:
Back