pressure build up in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie Diamond

Reaction score
Brewed a Quad/Strong Dark this past weekend and hit great numbers; 6 good gallons at 1.094. Pitched a three liter starter of WY3522 and the thing went off like a rocket.

After 24 hours of blowing off in my 65 degree apartment, I moved it to the basement to try and calm things down. Temperature there is probably closer to 55. Once it relaxed a little, I switched out the airlock with a clean one. Four days later and there is still a thick mass of yeast bubbles all the way up the neck of the airlock and yeast in the vodka. This thing is still blowing off.

So I want to know whether this yeast is somehow affecting or increasing the pressure in the fermenter by massing on the top of the brew and not being allowed to fully clear. If so, what effect does that have? Should I just let it go? Rack to a secondary to try and give it a clean place to finish?

I'm worried about not giving it enough breathing room.

Would you recommend a diacetyl rest by bringing it to a warmer room/putting a brew belt on it for a few days?

I can rig one up. I have used them in the past but just switched to Better Bottles so I don't have all the pieces I have used in the past.

What effect is my current setup having on my beer? Any idea?

Will putting on a blowoff at this point have any impact?

You're about to paint the ceiling with beer. Get a blowoff tube, or a way to contain the mess that may have already happened.

By moving the fermenter to a cooler environment, you have slowed the yeast down. The wort temp can be 3-5 degrees F higher than the outside of the fermenter. If you want to slow it down further, try putting the fermenter in a water bath with frozen water bottles. However, if the fermenter is at the proper temp, you just need a way to prevent the vent from clogging and finding another vent path. (blowout when the fermenter lid pops off) in an emergency such as you are experiencing, you cna remove the airlock entirely and let the krausen vent out of the airlock hole. While active fermentation is under way, the co2 pushing out will most likely inhibit the entrance of microscopic nasties. That will give you enought time to get to the hardware store and rig up a blowoff tube.

got it.

The airlock is still active so it isn't as if the gas has nowhere to go. I'll switch to a blowoff to see whether that encourages better activity.

So back to my original question, though; what effect does limiting the blowoff have besides making a mess? Am I enabling off flavors in my beer?

I don't think you're enabling off flavors but definitely creating a potential safety hazard. I think your vent will give out before your yeast stop fermenting...

Back