Press cloth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cthomas

Reaction score
Anyway have any recommendations on press clothes? I've already read tons about different cloths and know pretty much what to look for. Looking for specific suggestions, and experiences. Thanks.

I use nylon mosquito netting. Its cheap and easy to clean, but don't get the stuff impregnated with insecticide.

I took a trip to the local thrift shop and found some sheer curtains that looked strong. Cut them into suitable sized squares, hemmed the edges and sent them through the washing machine. It all worked well. They seem to have disappeared over the winter so I might have to do it all again this fall. I won't be posting pictures of my hemming abilities.

I used net curtain material, lasted me a couple of years before it started ripping. Then I bough some squares from the Whizzbang Cider website, they have been great, have had 3 years of use out of them and they still seem good as new.

Agreed on the whizbang cloth! I bought some last year after fighting with various other cloths I tried. They were superb! Just finished pressing 4 gal cider with them now. Nuther 8 gallon worth of Apple's ground n ready to press after supper.

I ended up buying 5 yards of "Faux Linen Sheer Voile (118") - White" at $2 a yard from http://www.fabricwholesaledirect.com/ Even if they only least one season they only cost me about $1.50 each with the shipping.

I was able to cut it up into aprox 12 press clothes of the size I needed. Since it is polyester I burned the edges instead of hemming to hopefully prevent them from fraying to much. I haven't pressed anything with them yet but I am optimistic.

Just to update this, I used the press cloths I mentioned above for the first time yesterday. They work great! They really let the juice through and kept the solids down to a minimum. Hard to beat at $1.50 each.

Back