Prescribe a Factory Beer for Me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first beer fermented so fast, I thought I would be fine with one fermenting bucket. I also thought a 5-gallon keg would last me months. Now I have two kegs getting dangerously low. I have a stout fermenting, and after 6 days, it's still burping and tying up the bucket. It started at 1.053, and last night it was only down to 1.017.

I ordered two more buckets from the fastest place I know of, but I can't count on anything. I think it may be time to buy a few bottles of emergency beer.

The ale I'm afraid I'm running out of looks like an IPA, but I fermented it with Trappist ale yeast. It has a very, very spicy flavor and aroma. Sort of reminds me of Whitbread, but much, much better. It's a little sweet but also very bitter. Somewhere around 80 IBU. It went from 1.054 to 1.010 at around 70 degrees. I bittered with CTZ and finished with Crystal.

Any factory beers sound like that?

Think I'll also get some Old Rasputin.

I think I'll pick up some Boddies. I like it. I don't care if AB makes it.

I was thinking of doing a Boddies clone with Amarillo hops.

Can you source Courage Directors? Low(er) ABV but hoppy above its weight class.

I am in an odd situation. I live in a rural town, but there is a hippie grocery that has a stunning selection of beer. They rotate it, though, so I don't know what's there all the time.

I went with Boddies, Dogfish 60 Minute, and Old Rasputin. I think this will get me through.

A quick internet search yielded this from BA. Although I often disagree with the doofuses rating beer on BA, it might be of help. Essentially you want a Belgian (or Belgian style) IPA, right? Maybe one or two of these are on the shelf at your local hippy mart.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/top-styles/174/
Wow. Really good call. I should have thought of that.

I was going to recommend trying to find some Spencer Abbey IPA but the brothers shut the monastery's brewery down a couple months ago. Too bad, they had some unique brews...their take on an IPA was enjoyably spicey...

Cheers!

My main beer guy (ok, the only store I go to because the owner is cool) still had some of Spencer's beers. Sucks they shut down.

Next time I see it there, I may get a sixer or two.

It's an exciting day. This morning, I was able to smell instant coffee when I jammed my face into the jar, and a few minutes back, I managed to smell Vaporub. Earlier today, I rubbed Vaporub around my nostrils and could not smell a thing. Maybe I'm smelling the light at the end of the tunnel.

given your current smell/ taste situation… I’d save my money and pick up some good old fashioned beer. BMC, does the job. Especially when you can’t taste it anyway!

It's an exciting day. This morning, I was able to smell instant coffee when I jammed my face into the jar, and a few minutes back, I managed to smell Vaporub. Earlier today, I rubbed Vaporub around my nostrils and could not smell a thing. Maybe I'm smelling the light at the end of the tunnel.
Instant Coffee? INSTANT COFFEE? Seriously? We need to chat about this.

I use it for cooking, but I have to admit, I also like drinking it sometimes.

I don't like bad brewed coffee, but I like some instant coffees.

I'm just getting my smeller back to normal after getting the virus 3 weeks ago. My nose quit working just as all the other symptoms were disappearing, then slowly started coming back about a week later. During that couple of weeks, I mostly drank Hamm's.

Back