Preparing to drink...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoFortySX

Reaction score
So I just received a call from my local beer distributor. They have got my case of Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter in, that I ordered last week. And this beer is something I have wanted to try for a while. Which leads me to the topic of this thread.

If I know I am going to be drinking more than a few beers in a given sitting I will prepare myself. I do this by making sure that I am fully hydrated with a watered down sports drink. You do this by drinking liquids, other than beer, until your pee is a nice clear color. I also try to get a nice nutritious meal in my body containing lots of protein. The sports drink and protein containing meal will help fulfill your B-vitamin needs especially during some hard drinking. Lastly, I pop a multi-vitamins during the meal.

So after my little regiment I feel prepared physically for the effects of consuming a fair share of alcohol. This usually helps me limit my hangover the next day so I can be productive. After that I can usually drink a Red Bull, pop a multi-vitamin and get some water back in my body then go on with my day.

I think I developed this system back when I was more of a binge drinker in college. I knew I wanted to get wasted and party but had to be productive the next day so I would do what I could to help ease the hangover. At the time I was a certified fitness trainer, part time at a gym, so I had the background to know what alcohol actually does to the body and what causes a hangover.

After all of that, Does anyone else do this? If so what do you do?

Cheers. I will be enjoying some Edmund Fitzgerald porter, homebrew strawberry wheat and apfelwein.

Jimmy :cross:

I love their Edmund Fitz... I usually get a 1/6 of it or so every year... you should try their Blackout Stout if you haven't already.

drink like a fish, put my clothes on, go home, take 3 or 4 aspirin and drink a HUGE class of water, pass out.....no hangover.

VB

i usually do it sorta like vegasbrew
i pace beers with non-beers during, not before. helps to reduce hangover effects and slow you down.

Buy Doritos.

Drink.

Wake up, big breakfast. Off to the day, grinning like a mad idiot.

Or, pound a few right before bed, then only sleep for four hours so you're still a little loaded in the morning, and fight it off with hot coffee and bacon.

-edit- Worth noting that as I approach thirty, not only has the frequency of such events dwindled to near nonexistence, it also seems to be a little harder to pull off. :p

I make sure I have a bottle opener, a clean mug & I don't have to drive anywhere...
That's about it. Regards, GF.

"Prepare to drink... DRINK!!!"
Or maybe: "Forward, DRINK!!!"
:tank:

I drink a lot of water all day at work, so I guess you could say I'm always preparing to drink, except when I'm actually drinking.

I don't usually drink in vast quantities, so it is usually not an issue for me. I also don't take any vitamins or many medicines either. I think that the thing that works best is simple. Drink a bunch of water before you go to bed. The re-hydration is what you need. A decent breakfast chases off any "gut rot" that may occur.

That has always worked well for me. Like I said though, I VERY rarely have more than two or three.

I'll agree with TechFly...Except, when I know I will be drinking a bit I just pound a glass of water between every beer. No Hangover. It's the dehydration that gets you.

You're overthinking it...vitamins, sports drinks, high protein...all make no dif to me, just add water and you will flourish.

I wish I could enjoy some EF. Never ahd to opportunity and probably never will.

The Fitz is a great damn beer! I was so impressed, I mean they aren't super strong alcohol wise but they have huge flavor and I got ten of them put down. I couldn't stop drinking them until the SWMBO said "blah blah blah slurring words blah blah"

\

You're overthinking it...vitamins, sports drinks, high protein...all make no dif to me, just add water and you will flourish.

I mean ive been drinking for 10 plus years and I know thats not super long but its what I need to do to feel okay the next day. I have tried the water thing but that doesnt work for me. I think its because I am a water drinker by nature. I drink an easy gallon a day so I get dehydrated really fast.

On the "I intend to get ****ty" nights, I take a couple of ibuprofen before I sack out. I know that I'm going to have to get up at least once in the middle of the night to pee. If I feel a hangover coming on, I take a couple more. If I don't, I'll drink a glass or two of water anyway and go back to bed...

Well, back in my college days, I did nothing and never got a hangover... Of course, back then I drank miller lite and there's enough water in there to keep from getting a dehydrated all by itself :)

Now I just drink a powerade zero and take a multi-vitamin before bed and it does the trick.

Back