preparing for texas heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek81

Reaction score
I ferment in my closet, during the summer last year we had 110+ degree days and i could only get my house temp down to 74 degrees will this be a problem? If so do you know of a cheap way to fix this.
I am currently looking at refrigerators on craigslist for my garage but if i use a fridge will it be to cold?

Brew a Saison, that’s what I do in the hot months, most Belgians work well in the Texas heat

Get a frig or freezer and a temp controller. With a temp controller (Johnson, etc) the temp will not be too cold and, if set-up properly, will be very effective at maintaining the fermentation temp despite the heat of fermentation. And it will be a set-it and forget-it process from then on.

I've been brewing for a little over a year now. I started in a colder than usual winter and fermented on the floor of my dining room with no problem. Then I went with a swamp cooler which was effective but a huge pain in the arse. Now I have a fridge with the ebay aquarium temp controller. Trust me, get a fridge and build or buy yourself a controller. It will save you a lot of headaches and your beer will be better for it.

Thanks think im going the fridge route, if i can find a cheap enough one i may drill holes in it for my future kegerator lol

I think I'm just going to go the Saison/Belgian route this summer. Hopefully getting a deep freeze ferm chamber setup at some point.

$6 tub at walmart filled with cold water with fermenter in it works for me in florida

Mine is cheaper than that. Home Depot carboard box and a big thick contractor bag. Put the bag in the box, fermenter in the bag and fill her up :rockin:

May not be the best, but it will get you by in a pinch.

i'm in texas--hope to have the freezer & thermostat hooked up by may, if not i'm stacking saisons in the spare room. my 2 cents.

$6 tub at walmart filled with cold water with fermenter in it works for me in florida
+1 i live in CO and the summers can get to 100deg and i use a big storage container and drop in frozed bottles. This es especially important during primary fermentation

thetragichero said:

Great idea im just out of town 5 days a week

Great idea im just out of town 5 days a week

Saisons, belgians and brett are all good options. You could also find a yeast that does well up to 75F, put it in the cooling tub, and give it a wort it can chew through quickly. This is assuming you weren't going to make a summer Imperial Stout.

One HBT user has been kind enough to chart the temps of common liquid strains here:
lugwrenchbrewing.com/2010/10/optimal-fermentation-temperature-ranges.html

He doesn't include all the liquid strains; you'd have to check manufacturer websites for those. Among dry yeasts, your options include S04, T58 and Coopers, all of which box you in a bit, stylistically speaking.

Back