Prepared post!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadozen

Reaction score
Reddit screwed up the whole approach.

This forum is about the get a lot of n3wb brewers just trying their best. I know we're awesome and inviting, but let's double down on being the best community ever

Did r/Homebrewing go toes-up?

A number of subreddits are planning a 'blackout' for early next week. A web search on "reddit blackout june 12" currently returns a couple of good summary articles. Apparently, there are concerns that a proposed price increase for cell phone app access will force some cell phone apps to shut down.

StackOverflow admin/curators are involved in a different situation (web search: stack overflow moderators chatgpt).

This forum is about the get a lot of n3wb brewers ...
May be a good test for those ChatGPT summary tools (aka "echo chambers on steroids").

:popcorn:

Former Reddit users will experience culture shock with a menu and thread structure that they can actually follow. And what time is the cake? Last time I didn't receive a piece.

And what time is the cake? Last time I didn't receive a piece.

1000001469.jpg

Former Reddit users will experience culture shock with a menu and thread structure that they can actually follow. And what time is the cake? Last time I didn't receive a piece.
I have tried reddit a couple of times in the past and that thread structure of theirs is what has turned me off every time. Even the old usenet of the very early internet was easier to follow.

Reddit homebrewing threads are pretty hit and miss. More miss than hit, though sometimes I discover a nugget of good info there. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Other times, I find some really ridiculous answers to a question, and no one else more knowledgeable has stepped in to correct it.

When looking for answers to something I often search in Google and see what everyone has to say. I usually find 3 or 4 good threads on HBT, and some good stuff on AHA. We have enough critical mass, member-wise, that unless a topic is really obscure, there will be several people to share their insights.

There was another thread recently about reddit homebrew. Anyway I was on some reddit threads again recently, and man are they bad sometimes. Straight up incorrect advice. People sounding confident but being wrong, even against a simple google search. Just making misleading statements. You would believe them if you didn't know better.

Not to mention the horrendous formatting.

Straight up incorrect advice. [posters] sounding confident but being wrong, even against a simple google search. Just making misleading statements. You would believe them if you didn't know better.
Asking for a friend ('cause I know the answer ;)): And how is that different from ChatGPT generated content? or any other discussion forum when one focuses on 'bad' topics (rather than identifying and following experts)?

I'm with whoever up above (I'm too lazy to scroll at the moment) said the the r/homebrewing reddit is hard to read. You get replies to posts, then replies to THOSE posts, then a few lines down there are replies to the original post. Drives me nuts. I sometimes use it for my sewing and knitting questions, but every time I ask google a brewing question (which is a LOT) I tend to scroll past the reddit results. I like the way HBT does things.

I am pretty sure they are already here. i started noticing some very interesting posts a few weeks ago
Unfortunately (short term) you suspicion is plausible.

Hobbies will survive (or maybe "embrace, extend, extinguish") LLM summary posts; much like hobbies survived the transition from Usenet Groups to CompuServe to ... to ... to ...

Today I learned that reddit r/homebrewing has gone offline for 3 days in protest of their crappy business practices that favor the desires of their executive board rather than the users. So I imagine we might see a small glut of new members over here on HBT. Please be patient with noobs as we recalibrate them towards better knowledge than they've seen out there on Reddit. I use Reddit but I don't love it.

Back