Premature ej-carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenBeer

Reaction score
My fellow brew partner has been making some beer recently (2 to note) one a stout and the other a black IPA. Both seem to be slghtly carbonating in the secodary. If said secondary was moved slightly there will be air bubbles moving up the side and settle on top just like if it was a fully carbed beer. Havin seen this, I can tell you there is no improperpractice taking place and if i use the same carboys, I dont get the same result. Only difference I can see is I dont know what his yeast is and he will use LME where I do not. anyone ever seen this? still makes good beer and doesnt over carb.

I would guess that his temperatures are cooler, and more co2 is "held" in solution in cool temperatures. That's good, in many ways.

But right now I'm trying to degas a wine that's been kept at 62 degrees, and it's holding onto so much dissolved co2 that it's making me crazy, as the wine should be still!

As long as he has no problems with under- or over-carbing, then it's all good!

It's perfectly normal. Sometimes CO2 just stays in solution, especially if it's kept at cooler temperatures.

I think mostly they have been feremented and secondar-ied (if you will allow poor use of the english) at a constant 71 which I would not have thought was that cool for these.

Back