Preacher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talgrath

Reaction score
So, I know the season is already halfway over, but I finally got caught up on the TV show Preacher. I didn't see a discussion thread, so I thought I'd create one. Is anyone else watching? The cinematography is gorgeous on this show and the dark humor is really great. And I'm dying to know how the damn cowboy fits into the rest of the story. If you've read the comics, no spoilers please!

I am watching (haven't got to the finale yet) and I agree, whoever is doing the Cinematography is amazing. And yes I have read the comics, and all I can say is the pace will speed up a bit.......

I'm watching, and at the times the pace is really slow. The last episode was better, so now I'm hopeful.

2 things that hold my interest.

1. Old west shots/story. I need to know what is happening there.
2. The two "Angels" trying to retrieve the "thing". I want to know the back story there.

I'm hoping it continues to pick up, because I think the story could be really cool, but so far has been slow.

Another slow episode outside of the arguments and personal drama between the characters and the threats from Quincanon. Based on the preview of next week, we get a hell of a lot of action next week, including a Mad Max like showdown at the church. I'm curious to know exactly what happened with Jesse and Cassidy...maybe we'll find out next episode. Looks like Arseface aka Eugene should be back too.

Yeah, wasn't thrilled with the episode last night. Really slow.

Hoping next weeks makes up for this.

One thing I've noticed: We keep getting shots of the gas pipes from the slaughterhouse/powerhouse releasing gas from underground, presumably from fracking. Could the whole town somehow wind up blowing up? That play of the destruction of Sodom seemed a bit too on the money to be coincidence. From what little I know of the comics without reading them, Jesse and company spend most of it traveling around with Jesse feeling considerably less than pious, so that could be the impetus for Jesse to leave and have his mood change. Also would be a nice little nod towards the modern day issues of fracking and its environmental concerns.

Hell of an episode, line of the night has to be "Preacher shot my dick off. Hell of a shot. Doesn't even hurt."; I burst out laughing at that one. So Cassidy is recuperating at Tulip's place (thanks to dog adoption), Jesse's lost his mind and the angels are useless; Jesse's got himself in one hell of a bad situation and he's pretty much alienated everyone who might care. Next episode looks like we'll see some more of the lone cowboy, still wondering how that all ties in to the main story.

Wow, they really turned the gore up 11 on that episode. So we now have several confrontations all about to arrive at the boiling point...but at least Jesse has made up with Cassidy and Tulip. Somehow, I feel like Jesse isn't going to get a chance to call up god, even if his whole "use an angel's hand to make a call" thing works. Side note, anyone else reading this anymore? Or am I just talking to myself.

Wow, they really turned the gore up 11 on that episode. So we now have several confrontations all about to arrive at the boiling point...but at least Jesse has made up with Cassidy and Tulip. Somehow, I feel like Jesse isn't going to get a chance to call up god, even if his whole "use an angel's hand to make a call" thing works. Side note, anyone else reading this anymore? Or am I just talking to myself.

I'm reading, was catching up.

Thoughts on the last episode.

Interesting on how fast Em went dark, I mean taking out the mayor like that.
I need more from Tulip. She's my favorite character. Hopefully next episode we'll get more.
We now get somewhere with the cowboy.

why in the floccing flerp is this the first floccing time I'm hearing about this?!? all my floccing friends are floccing fired!!!!

IMG_20140823_121857.jpg

Hell of an episode to end the season, good to see it go out with a bang. Get it? A bang? Anyway, a few thoughts on the series so far and the season. I have a lot of questions, such as whether the hell cowboy can kill angels without them being reborn, which seems to be the case, but I think I'll have to wait until next season to get the details. Either way, with Anniville gone and Jesse set on finding the literal god, this is going to be an interesting series to watch.

They Aren't Afraid to Deviate From the Comics
I mean this in a good way, mind you. I've read a few articles about how the show has made changes from the comics, but pretty much all of them sound pretty positive. Tulip, for example, was a waifish blonde who was a less than capable fighter on her own; Tulip in the TV series is a badass who is just as good at murder and mayhem, maybe even better, than Jesse is. To my mind, that makes Tulip a bit more interesting. Given the show is airing on a basic cable channel, I imagine certain sacrifices will need to be made for the sake of the series from a content perspective, but I think the show is in good hands.

Dark Humor
The dark humor the comic is famous (or infamous for) for is definitely here. I chuckled as the town's new and old mascots kept showing up in random shots, but the end of season 1 sees them *SPOILERS* both hanging from a tree, a scene that is oddly funny because of the sheer absurdity of it all. There's a lot of moments like that in the show, where the ridiculousness of the screwed up little Texas town are put on display for our amusement; it's probably the biggest reason that this show is, I think, different than anything else on TV right now.

How Far Can They Take It?
Preacher the comic was a tour of the depravity and hypocrisy of America in the 90's, taken to absurd heights; but how much can they show on a basic cable channel? And how will comic fans react to scenes that are censored or toned down?

This Is Fun
As high as the stakes are on the show, I have to say that this is legitimately one of the most "fun" shows I've seen in a while. There's enough mental depth that I don't feel like I'm swimming in the kiddie pool, but there's also a lot of just plain dumb jokes in the show. I'm eager to see next season and I hope they can maintain the same sort of tone and attitude.

Back