Pre-Soaked Oak Chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoreBeerDude

Reaction score
OK - so I have a question - I'm curious about the weight of chips - I lucked into someone else having already soaked the oak chips in rum, so I don't know the dry weight of the chips, only the wet. Anyone have a guideline for how much to use if they are already wet? How much does, say, 4 oz of dry chips weigh once wet?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated - trying to figure out how much to chuck into secondary if I'm aiming for a middle-of-the-road impact on a porter.

thank you kindly
Ron

Its really hard to give a ballpark estimate, I'll say use half of them and after a week if the taste isn't good enough put the rest of them in.
I usually split the batch, pull out about 1/3 of the beer and then blending it back to taste with the oaked version. Its real easy to over-oak and having some beer to blend back in will save you from re-brewing the same beer just so you can have some to blend with.

Back