Pre-rinse grains for Brew in Bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGrana

Reaction score
After years of brewing all-grain - then ~ 4 years off, I have started brewing again with my son. Frankly, the sparge and time spent and stresses of stuck sparge kept me doing a few partial mashes. But, I tried a brew in bag a few weeks ago and it went well!

One fear that was proven though - the amount of grain dust/flour that collects on the wort. I know that without the filtering the sparge provides this is going to happen, but... a thought...

Since I am already adding ~15% grain to offset the lower extraction rate, why not rinse the crushed grains in cold water before adding to the mash pot?

It should rinse much of the dust/flour off, but leave the craked grains alone. I would rinse them in the mesh brew bag.

Anyone ever done this? Is it worth the further extraction loss - which can be offset by adding an extra 1/2 of grain???

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about the cloudy wort.
I did a BIAB blonde ale, actually a Cream of 3 crops, with rice, corn and barley,
put in the primary for 4 weeks and bottled. Clear as can be.

+1 I use a grain bag for my PMs, never pre-rinsed the grains and I end up with very clear beer. It settles out somewhere along the line (I do 2 week primary and 2 week secondary).

ditto... no need to worry. I've done a ton of bagged partials and have never rinsed the dust off. It always settles out. Good luck!

It does settle out, but you end up with muck more gunk at the bottom of the fermenter, and less beer into keg and bottles. Rinsing might be worth a try.

Not to mention it'd be a real pita to rinse it worth a crap seeing as most dust-like substances clump and stick upon getting damp.

I recently made a ~5.5 gallon .072 OG brew using a bag method, I used a hop bag but didn't touch hot/cold break or clean the grain (~14-15 lbs). On dumping in carboy(6.5g) and settling I had ~4 inches of break and crap on the bottom but after primary fermentation, ~14 days, it's down to a pretty solid 2 inch layer and I think it'll compact more in a couple weeks before I keg it.

Let it sit, the yeast pretty much traps the dust underneath/in the mix.

Back