Pre Crushed grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobb25

Reaction score
Just got into all-grain brewing this year. When I buy pre-crushed grains they come in a sealed pack. Do I need to use them as soon as possible? Should they be stored in a fridge, and then warmed to room temp before mashing? Been thinking about buying a kit for Sept. brewing. Is this way too soon?
Bob

Room temp, dry, out of sun. No need to refrigerate. Im not sure how long they last exactly, but I've done a month or so without issues. I've heard others go longer as well. But with that said, definitely try to minimize it -- no need to purchase so far in advance. Plan better.

What he said^

I've had some crushed grain for 2 years and it was still fine. I did add some fresh malt, just in case the DP had dropped too low. I don't think it had.

But do check the crush, if it is too coarse for your mash process, your efficiency will suffer.

Sealed is best. Cool and dry is essential. Basement cool is enough. The fridge is a good idea. Warmed to room temperature and/or adjusting your strike temperature is critical, otherwise your mash temperature will be too low.

I would wait until the end of August to purchase ingredients if you plan to brew in the beginning of September.

Get a grain mill. I use a corona style mill at about $25 - $50. Unmilled grain stays fresh much longer. Buying unmilled grains in larger quantities will save you a lot of $$ in the long run.

While I have also had luck with older pre-crushed grains, I started buying larger quantities uncrushed, so that they would keep longer. A corona mill, a drill, and a few modifications to increase hopper size, and catch basin will make quick work of crushing grain for future brews.

Back