Pre-built e-brew rigs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheEndlessObsession

Reaction score
Do these things actually exist? The apartment I live in is, like many others, has strict rules on propane burners, so I can't just throw a kettle outside and do work. On the other hand, I can't do full boils on my stovetop. There just is not enough juice.

If they don't or are prohibitively expensive, are there any HBT forum goers who can/will do custom build jobs for other members?

Have you considered making a heat stick to add some "juice" to your stove's output? For about $25 (if you can salvage the power cord) you can add 1500W or more to your stove's heat output. Certainly the fastest, easiest and cheapest way to get started on full volume boils. You can always start with that and brew beer while you work on a more permanent/elegant solution.

You could do a regular heating element with a locknut in your BK and a controller for it using just a 120 volt 2000 watt element now to supplement your stovetop and then change out the element when you get a more permanent system. This way you can reuse almost everything but your element when you go all out.

Thanks for the ideas, fellas. I think you have the right idea in going small (heat stick, etc.) and then building up. I honestly hadn't thought of that at all until you brought it up. Are there any dangers/restrictions I should know about if I decide to go that route? I really don't want to have an issue with the apartment down the road and have them blame it on my brew system.

1. Use only a GFCI outlet
  2. Be sure the outlet is rated to handle at least the amps the heat stick will draw.
  3. NEVER plug the heat stick in unless the element is completely covered with water/wort.
  4. Always assume that any metal part of the heat stick is too hot to touch.
  5. Make sure the heat stick is properly grounded when you make it.

I would add that a boil over of hot extract can easily permanently discolor the metal paint of a stove. Use a pot or volume that ensures you never have a boil over.

Back