Power failure during lagering: now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideshow_ben

Reaction score
Irene took out my power for two days, during which time my kegerator rose from 55F to 61F. My lager had been in its primary fermentation for about 8 days when this started but the airlock was still bubbling away quite vigorously (about one click every 7-8 sec) and I wasn't planning on doing a diacetyl rest until it slowed down to 1 click per minute or so. My power just came back on, so I can either lower the fridge back to fermentation temp of 55F or let it continue to come up slowly to 65F for the rest. Can anyone offer some advice?

BTW, the OG was 14.8 Brix (approx 1061) and it is currently reading 8.2 Brix (approx 1015 FG). The FG should be about 1017 but Brix-to-gravity conversions are always a bit tricky. It seems I'm at the 75% finished mark so I should be doing a rest anyway, yes?

What kind of beer is it? I don't do diacetyl rests on 75% of my lagers, and I've never had a problem. It's only certain styles that really give you a problem, in my opinion. Personally, I would drop it down to lagering temps and let it sit if you're done fermenting.

Sounds like you are ready for the rest if you planned on doing it. I doubt you will have a problem. It pretty much did its own diacetyl rest when the power was off. As long as you didn't open the freezer, it probably took a little while for it to get to that temp anyway.

Back