Pouring bottle-conditioned beers from larger bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingedcoyote

Reaction score
Not a brewing question, but I figure you guys would be the best ones to ask. :)

So you've got a larger-than-one-serving bottle of beer, and you want to pour it into multiple glasses (or one glass and then refill it later). But it's bottle-conditioned and has a healthy layer of yeast on the bottom -- once you tip it back from the first pouring, that stuff's going to be floating all around and the next pour will be cloudy and yeasty. What to do?

I've tried pouring one glass and then sticking the bottle in the fridge to crash out yeasties, but it takes way too long. Another possibility would be setting glasses up very near each other and trying to pour "across" the glasses without stopping, but I think doing that without making a mess is beyond my dexterity. Perhaps pouring the whole thing carefully into a pitcher and then dispensing from that?

With bombers I use 2 glasses right next to each other (touching) and pour across. If I'm the only one drinking that beer, I cover the 2nd glass with some plastic wrap or foil and put it in the fridge. I pour the 2nd glass into my first to rejuvenate the head.

If I were to use a pitcher, by the time I'd get to the 2nd pour the beer will be totally flat.

For beer I don't keg, I now seem to prefer 12oz bottles, but bottling bombers is quicker.

EDIT: Or use a larger glass. :D

Just do a smooth pour. No glugs. Set the bottle down with out sloshing and it will be ready for the next pour.
I had purchased 10 cases of 22 ounce bottles. Only took one bad pour to learn how to do it right.

With bombers I use 2 glasses right next to each other (touching) and pour across.

This is usually what I do. Sometimes still end up leaving an ounce or 2 after the second pour depending on how settled everything is in the bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I use mostly 710ml and 750ml PET bottles for my homebrew. So I get two glasses per bottle. The second glass might end up a little cloudy but if I am careful pouring the first (no glugs) then it usually isn't a problem.

The good thing about these bottles is that the sediment seems to compact very nicely in the 5 divots (dents,wells?) in the bottom. If the beer has a little age on it I can sometimes pour pretty much the whole bottle (in two separate pours) without stirring anything up.

I ran into this issue when I gave out bombers to my wife's extended family at Christmas Eve. I just included instructions to pour into a pitcher or large measuring cup first.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Really glad to see that someone else thinks about this stuff, btw.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll practice my super-smooth pouring, and next time I'm sharing a bomber I'll experiment with pouring across the cups -- maybe it's not as messy as I was thinking it would be.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll practice my super-smooth pouring, and next time I'm sharing a bomber I'll experiment with pouring across the cups -- maybe it's not as messy as I was thinking it would be.

Can't do this if the beer is highly carbonated or you will get a glass of foam. Raise high, pour smooth, and don't let the guest pour.

Back