Pouring a stout properly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mward

Reaction score
I've got a beer that I've carbonated, in the keg, 42 deg @ 10 psi, it's an irish ale. I'm pouring it through a stout tap @ 30psi on beer gas and I get a lot of foam. After 3 minutes I guess the glass is still 1/4 foam, more than I'm used to at the pub with glasses of guinness. Anyone have any tips on how to get a more perfect pour? Other than that, it's great. Thanks.

This is the faucet I'm using. It has the restricter plate and flow straightener in it.

6c0e_1_b.JPG

I have zero experience with this sort of thing, but it sounds over-carbonated to me. 10 psi over a week (on pure CO2) would carbonate your beer at the same level as most CO2 dispensed draught beers (2.0-2.5 volumes, I think). I'm pretty sure beer gas dispensed brews require less carbonation.

exactly. your carbonation is too high.

ideally, you would have a diffusion stone and carbonate/nitrogenate with the beergas to get the proper level of carbonation. barring that, only do maybe 1/3 of the pressure with co2, then put it on beergas. the beergas will carbonate it overtime a bit more.

Thanks for the tips guys. I will drop the cabonation level tonight and vent the keg a few times and see what happens. Appreciate the input!!!

Back