Potential Disaster: Can I lager in glass bottles and other stupid questions from a newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCubed76

Reaction score
First time making a lager (Marzen). I tried to keg it in order to force carb and lager simultaneously, BUT the keg was leaking CO2. So I added priming sugar (corn) and transferred to pint glass flip-top bottles.
My plan is to:
1) lager in bottles in the chamber at 36 degrees for 6 weeks
2) after 6 weeks of lagering, remove bottles from chamber and allow to carbonate at room temp for 4 weeks
3) after carbonating place them in the fridge for a week and then start drinking

My many and various questions:
Is it ok to lager in bottles?
If it's ok to lager in bottles, what temp should I lager at?
Currently the bottles are sitting directly on the floor of the chamber (chest freezer with Inkbird), is that ok?
How long should I lager? I'm not entering this beer in a contest, just want to enjoy it.
Am I using the correct sequence? For instance, should I carb at room temp first, then lager OR proceed with my current 3-step plan mentioned above?
Thanks, in advance, for your help!

This question may seem dumb if you have any experience at all, but it has to be asked. Was primary fermentation already completed before you added priming sugar?

Figured it was, but I’ve figured wrong before.

You should be fine. I personally would reverse the sequence and carb first then lager. I would also only carb at room temp for 2 weeks. I’ve never tried it your way so I couldn't say if it would work or not.

Ideally you want to lager as close to freezing as possible without getting there. I personally aim for 36-38f. Others here aim lower

Chest freezer should be fine. Just be aware of the temp gradient between the bottom and top. If your temp probe is in the middle at 36, the bottom could be 28-31. Most use a small fan to help prevent cold spots.

if you haven’t checked this link, its a pretty good read On lagering
. Lagering - Chapter 1: Common Misconceptions

Latest posts

Back