Pot or reflux column for 11 gallon, 5 KW boiler for flavored spirits ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
I want to make some flavored spirits with a 5 KW induction heated 11 gallon boiler. Mostly rums and brandy, but maybe some whiskey. I am an experienced homebrewer and quite capable at building things.

I don't quite understand how one gets the right flavor profile in the finished product. Apparently a spirit run strips out too much flavor ? So people do a stripping run to get flavor, followed by a spirit run to get virtually pure alcohol and then mix some of the stripping run into the spirits to get the final product ?

Given this, do I want a pot still or a reflux column ?

What column temp is used for the stripping run ? What column temp is used for the spirit run ?

What diameter column does one use for a 5KW boiler ? How does column length (height) fit into the picture ?

A stripping run simply strips flavor and alcohol from a mash/wash
I personally use a bit of mash or backset in my spirit run.

A spirit run will not take away any flavors from a previously stripped run but will simply round them out.

For instance, if you decide to do a one and done on a pot still, nice and slow, drip drip drip and taste the final product you'll probably not like it unless someone's just a drunk and wants the buzz.
My potstill is 15.5 gal kegs
Now if you take a 45 gallon mash, loadthe still with 12-13 gal and strip it down and do that 3 times or so, you can take some of the remaining mash and mix with the low wines and do a spirit run. This will be a far superior product with tons of flavor.

I solely use a potstill with thumper because i make rum, bourbon and brandies. As I mentioned, I use kegs and it has a 2" opening so thats what I use...2" copper

A reflux column is a great thing but just not for what I like to do. It can be done by someone who is experienced with them to make flavors but its alot trickier than I want to deal with.

I also make a damn fine AG vodka with my potstill, just takes a few more runs.

What's your short and long measurements? 92% over a distance of xXx in a 2" columb still or are you running a wider columb?

Latest posts

Back