Pot Moving Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnye

Reaction score
I'm looking for a solution to my BIAB problem. I really want to be able to hang my grain bag above my pot after mashing, but I brew indoors and have the vent hood above the pot and low ceilings. There's just not a good way to do it where it is. So my thought was to create a way to be able to move the pot over where I can have a pulley rigged to the ceiling and out of the way of the hood. Then I can let it drain and then move it back.

I was thinking of something like a heavy duty drawer slider mounted flat on the table that would move over. I just haven't been able to find a product/solution I am thrilled about. Was wondering if anyone has faced a similar situation and has any great ideas to solve this.

I need to move about 25 inches or so, and my estimate on weight of fully loaded pot and burner is about 100 lbs.

Thanks!

This is what I use. Chromed steel wire rack, 24" square with the front verticals cut off. The bracket up top is 1" ID black iron pipe from HD that slips down over the vertical pipes. It also has a horizontal support to hang my DIY donkey kong counter-flow chiller. Cooling water flows downward in the outer jacket while my sweet wort climbs upward before draining back into the kettle. The hook is there for dangling my bag after mash out. The DIY controller runs twin 1500W elements using an Auber EZ-Boil, and is powered by two cords plugged into outlets on separate circuits.

The whole thing is on wheels so I can roll it into the utility room for storage and I just swing the bag out over the trash can to let 'er down. While not in the photo, I use a BIAB bag, rope, and ratcheting pulley from @wilserbrewer which makes my brew day much easier.

I've got 33 batches on this rig and I wouldn't change a single thing about it.

20171021_162831.jpg

Back