Postum and cream of wheat as adjuncts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brwagur

Reaction score
I'm thinking about formulating a recipe for a beer I would call a Mormon Breakfast stout featuring Postum and Cream of Wheat. I know it's a long shot but I have some questions about how best to incorporate these ingredients into the mash. Postum is a roasted grain product so my assumption would be that I could use it in the same way as other roasted grains? As for Cream of Wheat, it is a semolina so I would assume it has to be pre cooked, right? Anyway, any guidance or wisdom would be appreciated :tank:

I absolutely love the name. My mom's mormon and it would be worth it to see the look on her face :)

Malt-o-meal might be another possibility. I hope this goes somewhere.

Like quick oats, they're probably already all converted, so you should just be able to toss it in the mash. Rice hulls will be your friends. I have absolutely no idea what sort of sugars you should expect. Once again, maybe look at the quick oats numbers to get a decent guess on the OG you might get.

It sounds like a pretty fun experiment. I agree with EJay - great name!

Postum is supposed to be roasted wheat and molasses. Anyone have any guess on on the SRM contribution from it? And would you use it in addition to either roasted barley or a roasted malt?

Back