Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to rack my russian imp stout after 8 weeks and found this...

infected ris.jpg

My first AG and I think I have an infection. SG was at 1.000 and there was a very strong, burn your nostrils odor. Didn't taste well. Thoughts?

That looks like protein break, the gravity could be normal with a low SG and mash temp. Recipe details?

That sharp burn is gaseous co2, be careful to much of that and youll pass out!

Looks like leftover krausen stuck to the side of the carboy after some blowoff (normal), but it's hard to tell how full the carboy is with actual beer.

I can't really see too clearly in that picture, but it could be yeast that's sticking to the side of the carboy. I don't think I've ever seen an infection below the surface of a beer....

Well, I got my first real bad infection. This was a Founders breakfast stout clone. It appeared after adding a second round of cold brewed coffee. I had soaked the coffee grinds in vodka instead of water, thinking it would prevent infection. Came back from vacation and saw this...

First time I've had to deal with this. Not sure how a sour stout will taste but I guess I will let this one age a few months and try it. Thoughts?

1404074570660.jpg

Looks very similar to my own dry hoppy stout which caught a bout of pelliculitis. I'm letting that one age for as long as it takes; bubbles in the airlock tell me it's not quite done yet.

From what I hear, the pellicle is a mix of wild Bretts and Lacto.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404844975.503982.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1404845017.256567.jpg

Nelson Sauvin single hop, day 5, fermented slightly high (20/21c) in cellar. It's down to 1.010 so it's done, but instead of the airlock smelling of sweet hops it smells a bit sulphury, not dissimilar to a pilsner before lagering.
Picture doesn't suggest anything infected but wonder what the smell could be.

(US-05 btw)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

First time with a potential infection for me. Not a good smell when I opened this one, about got whiplash pulling my head away from the bucket. 3.5 weeks fermenting. OG 1.052, FG 1.009 with US-05. Pretty basic APA that I have made many times.
20140703_194423_zpsvolngaux.jpg

20140703_194429_zpscd9afoho.jpg

Haven't seen anything like this on any of my brews before. Still racked to a keg, and the stuff clung to the sides as the bucket emptied. I did drink the hydrometer sample and while it was drinkable, it didn't taste anything like my APA (almost no hop flavor or aroma). Will give it a few weeks in the keg and see what happens before I make a final call on this one. Any thoughts on what this might be?

Thought might be the case. Have bunged in the rest of the hops and will give it a week or so before checking again. Ta!

Thought might be the case. Have bunged in the rest of the hops and will give it a week or so before checking again. Ta!

Those are some awesome looking infections! The first time I ever kegged a beer I forgot to clean the tube inside. I had some funkey cream ale but it ended up making some of the best beef stew I've ever made! If it doesn't age well it can add a nice tangy flavor for cooking!

Ian and gwcr: Both look normal to me. Fermentation can give off funky smells, but without the alien opaque bubbles, or a BRIGHT white color, I'm 99% sure it's not infected.
Thanks pfgonzo. If it didn't have the smell when I opened it, I wouldn't have given it another thought. But the smell was something I didn't expect and hadn't experienced over 20+ batches. Then I noticed the bubbles were very milky and slick/sticky looking, so that gave me something else to think about. I'll RDWHAHB for a couple more weeks in the keg before I give it another taste, but I'm not real optimistic about this one...

One thing that always surprises me is how boring my beers taste coming out of the fermenter. I've stopped making notes about it, because something magical happens when you carbonate. I just started lagering a Vienna, and right now it tastes like water. No flavor whatsoever. Same thing happened to the bock I made a few months back, and it ultimately turned out amazing. As Alton Brown says, "Your patience will be rewarded."

I posted this one in the Punkin' Ale thread. This is my infection that hit that recipe last fall when I brewed it. I left it alone and opened it up the day before yesterday and it still tastes good. A hint of funk, but good.

209795d1404770646-punkin-ale-1404770649017.jpg

And a closer shot.

209794d1404769921-what-i-did-beer-today-1404769923464.jpg

What do you all think this is? A lucky Brett infection? And no, I am not dumping it.

I posted this one in the Punkin' Ale thread. This is my infection that hit that recipe last fall when I brewed it. I left it alone and opened it up the day before yesterday and it still tastes good. A hint of funk, but good.

What do you all think this is? A lucky Brett infection? And no, I am not dumping it.

Looks like Brett to me, no expert... what I got in my ESB. You going to keg it, just curious? People say to designate it all sour stuff now and to replace all rings when done kegging if you do keg.

I keg, but think I am going to bottle this one. I have very many bottles just sitting around gathering dust, spiders and dead sprickets(camel crickets) in the garage. I am even thinking of saving some of the dregs/harvesting and using it again or just pitching something into the same bucket. Maybe make it into my own 'house' funky yeast strain.

I keg, but think I am going to bottle this one. I have very many bottles just sitting around gathering dust, spiders and dead sprickets(camel crickets) in the garage. I am even thinking of saving some of the dregs/harvesting and using it again or just pitching something into the same bucket. Maybe make it into my own 'house' funky yeast strain.

I will be bottling mine as well. Sucks because when I made the switch to kegs only I sold off my capper, caps, bottles, etc... Ha oh well.

209795d1404770646-punkin-ale-1404770649017.jpg

And a closer shot.

209794d1404769921-what-i-did-beer-today-1404769923464.jpg

That looks so cool!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404964885.622133.jpg

This is my second batch of beer. I am very new so of course I am overthinking every little thing. I am hoping someone can let me know if this is krausen or an infection.

Looks like a bit of mold.

Also unionrdr, I was told that you do not get infections from leaving beer in buckets for months. I asked around and it seems the consensus is this information is incorrect. Where did you hear it?

I got an infection in a bucket but it would have happened in a carboy. Beer was in the bucket for 6 weeks. That is not "too long" by any means.

It's not just from leaving it in a bucket for too long. All infections come from some source. If you're repeatedly opening the bucket or if it wasn't sanitized well, etc etc.

Now, buckets have a greater O2 permeability than carboys or BB's and often the seals aren't great. So if you leave it in there long enough, even sealed, there's a potential for something unwanted to get in thru a bad seal or for the beer to oxidize.

I didn't hear it, I experienced it. Everything was cleaned & sanitized. Tubing,etc. But some suck backs through the vodka in the airlocks must've let air in & something took hold. it was some 5-6 weeks after pitch that I saw it. Saved the beer & pitched the Ale Pail. They don't have seals in the lids. I got a shorty 7.9G pail from Midwest with a seal in the lid to replace it. So things can get in even though you took all the proper precautions.

It's not just from leaving it in a bucket for too long. All infections come from some source. If you're repeatedly opening the bucket or if it wasn't sanitized well, etc etc.

Now, buckets have a greater O2 permeability than carboys or BB's and often the seals aren't great. So if you leave it in there long enough, even sealed, there's a potential for something unwanted to get in thru a bad seal or for the beer to oxidize.

I leave mine alone more the most part but do check at 2-3 (usually to see if krausen dropped and gravity) and 5-6 weeks (or more depending), usually pulling at 5-6 weeks if all looks fine... inspected mine at 3 weeks, then was going to keg it at 6 and found a nice infection. I spray everything with starsan before opening, even hands/arms, and spray the lid and airlock before closing. Guessing if they want it they will find a way... and depending on the beer they will flock to it. I had 3 other brews right next door to the infected one, just kegged the Kolsch and the Saison & Pale are fine (so far).

I'll leave my infected one in the bucket for a month or so more now and try to get some bottles gathered up to just bottle it.

Back