Possibly under pitched dry yeast ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotastic

Reaction score
So I think I under pitched the Vanilla Bourbon Porter recipe I brewed a few weeks ago.

My OG was 1.080 and I was comtemplating pitching two packs of Notty but come brew day I realized I only had one. I rehydrated and pitched anyways.

It's now been about 4 weeks and I measured 1.028. Would there be any harm in sprinkling another pack of Notty and giving it another week or so?

To get it to do anything at this point you will probably have to add the yeast while it is actively fermenting. Alcohol is toxic to yeast, so pitching a pack into a beer that's already got that much alcohol won't do anything because the yeast won't even wake up. Get it going in a starter and pitch the starter at high krausen and you may have some luck getting it a bit drier.

Won't hurt and it might dry it out a bit. I've used Nottingham on stuck ferments with good results.

So I think I under pitched the Vanilla Bourbon Porter recipe I brewed a few weeks ago.

My OG was 1.080 and I was comtemplating pitching two packs of Notty but come brew day I realized I only had one. I rehydrated and pitched anyways.

It's now been about 4 weeks and I measured 1.028. Would there be any harm in sprinkling another pack of Notty and giving it another week or so?

Notty should handle that OG with one packet.

Danstar had a bad batch.. did you use it?
Nottingham Dry Yeast Lot #1081140118V.

go here for more details:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/nottingham-yeast-recall-135065/

Lot # on the pack I used was 108052105V.

Either wasy...I rehaydrated another pack and tossed it in....no gravity movement at all after 4days so I racked onto the chopped vanilla beans anyway.

Sample was pretty sweet tasting with a warmy alcoholy finish. At this point I probably let it sit for a week or two and then to the keg.

Any ideas on what to expect? Would a more extensive aging process benefit a beer that finished so high?

Back