possible stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gx37987

Reaction score
So I started a 60 L batch of cider, bought it fresh pressed from the local cider mill, they do pasteurize it but if you ask they won't preserve it which is what I did. put in potassium metabisulfate waited 12 hrs added peptic enzyme waited 12 hrs, then pitched my yeast (Lavlin D47) first time ever using this yeast by the way so it’s been about 2 days since I pitched the yeast and I still don't see any activity at all is it stuck cause I did put in 14 Tsp of yeast nutrient and the starting SG was 1.052.

So I started a 60 L batch of cider, bought it fresh pressed from the local cider mill, they do pasteurize it but if you ask they won't preserve it which is what I did. put in potassium metabisulfate waited 12 hrs added peptic enzyme waited 12 hrs, then pitched my yeast (Lavlin D47) first time ever using this yeast by the way so it’s been about 2 days since I pitched the yeast and I still don't see any activity at all is it stuck cause I did put in 14 Tsp of yeast nutrient and the starting SG was 1.052.

If the SG hasn't moved at all (check and see), try stirring the must hard to see if you can aerate it. I assume you used the proper amount of k-meta, and yeast as well, but if you let us know how much of each you used that might help.

Is potassium metabisulfite a preservative? Isn't that what winemakers use to arrest fermentation when bottling?

Is potassium metabisulfite a preservative? Isn't that what winemakers use to arrest fermentation when bottling?

No. It's what winemakers use to sanitize the must (doesn't kill yeast), and also use at 50 ppm throughout the entire process as an antioxidant.

Some winemakers don't use added sulfites, but then the wine doesn't keep as well due to oxidation happening faster.

Sulfites don't kill yeast.

No. It's what winemakers use to sanitize the must (doesn't kill yeast), and also use at 50 ppm throughout the entire process as an antioxidant.

Some winemakers don't use added sulfites, but then the wine doesn't keep as well due to oxidation happening faster.

Sulfites don't kill yeast.

Good to know, thanks. :)

I used 1 Tsp of Potassium Metabisulfite for the whole 60 L and I used 3 packs of yeast, I just checked it this morning and there is finally some activty so I guess because of the larger amount of cider it takes longer for the yease to grow and start.

Up untill now I've only done 5 gallon batches and the yeast kicks off within the first day if not the next day. So I'll make a note for the next time I brew a large batch. Thanks for the help,

I used 1 Tsp of Potassium Metabisulfite for the whole 60 L and I used 3 packs of yeast, I just checked it this morning and there is finally some activty so I guess because of the larger amount of cider it takes longer for the yease to grow and start.

Up untill now I've only done 5 gallon batches and the yeast kicks off within the first day if not the next day. So I'll make a note for the next time I brew a large batch. Thanks for the help,

That all seems fine, and since it's starting now it looks like it's going to be ok. :ban:

Back