Possible infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wranglerx16

Reaction score
First all grain batch. Did edworts porter. Had a slow fermentation ended up adding a second yeast. Fermented seem fine gravity was pretty close to being dead on. Checked it the other day had a white film on top. Shaked it up a bit. Haven't had this before.??

image-4033081604.jpg

image-1722144939.jpg

image-437119503.jpg

hey, its been a while since i transferred to secondary and it had an off taste so i let it sit. i checked it today and had about a 1.010 gravity. tried it and still has a slight astringent taste to it. kinda sourish. my first all grain so fairly stumped if it was something i did wrong in the brew process?

heated 4.32 gal to 170 added to mash tun poured in mash tun,l cooled to 150. added back to burn to heat up again to 165. after 1 hr set grain bed with 1/2 gal water removed and added back to mast tun. waited 10 min to sparge. added 2.75 gal at 165 . set for 10 min 19 brix at first running. pre boil brix is 12. added to kettle and started heat to boil
added hops at 60 min (.5 oz cascade leaf, us norther brewer 1 oz aa 10.3, b 5.1)
added 8oz dextrin at 20min rehydrated yeast while wort going thorugh chiller

had a slow fermentation about 65. pitched a second package of yeast a few days later. started but seemed quick
9/27/13 sour taste seemed to fade, dark, choclately coffee flavors

est og 1.064 me 1.064
at 150 stirred in grains
fg 1.020

just checked today 1.010 fg after transfering to secondary a few months ago. still has a slight astringent taste to it.

After you added the 170 degree water to the mash tun and it settled at 150 why did you heat it back up to 165 because 150 is about where you want it be for sacchafication to take place because Less fermentable sugars are produced at higher temperatures in a shorter time. Beta enzymes are denatured at higher temperatures, so starting high will produce a less fermentable wort.

After you added the 170 degree water to the mash tun and it settled at 150 why did you heat it back up to 165 because 150 is about where you want it be for sacchafication to take place because Less fermentable sugars are produced at higher temperatures in a shorter time. Beta enzymes are denatured at higher temperatures, so starting high will produce a less fermentable wort.

honestly i have no clue, i brewed it a while ago and dont remember exactly why i would've done that. i just copied my notes from beersmith. would that have something to do w/ the off taste? should i just dump it and try an all grain batch when i have more time w/ better notes?

Back